Thread: LITTLE HELP.... 4.0 issues

Default LITTLE HELP.... 4.0 issues

Hey guys...

Little help is needed.
    At Sno Fari my 99 Tj with the 4.0 shut down after making a loud clicking noise for several seconds. We diagonsed it as a COIL issue and replaced the coil. The Jeep fired right back up and ran for a few more hours when it happened again. Replaced the coil and went motoring on..

At trail maintance after about 1.5 hours or so on the trail My Tj shut down again. Sounded the same ect.. Went to town got a coil replaced it and back on the trail. about 2 hours later it did it again.. this time I found that the ground wire from the coil to frame was fried. replaced that, put in the first coil and the jeep fired right up.. finished trail maintance and were getting ready to head in for dinner.. Tj shuts down again..let the Jeep cool for about 15 min and turn the key and it fires right back up...

it is not throwing any codes nor are any of the lights on... ANY IDEAS?

Oh... THanks, JR,DAN,ERIC,KIRK,JASON,ANGIE,KRISTIN,MELISSA for putting up with it.
    KD8HLT

Quote Originally Posted by Bult4mud View Post
    Oh... THanks, JR,DAN,ERIC,KIRK,JASON,ANGIE,KRISTIN,MELISSA for putting up with it.
    I think I've been under your rig more than mine Jim. We still had fun though.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Kixx007's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
    I think I've been under your rig more than mine Jim. We still had fun though.
    Try knowing him for a bit longer....

So, after finding the bad wire, you put the old coil back in? I think you may have already damaged that coil. It's very typical that a coil will act find when cold, but after a while will stop working until it cools down again. I'd get a new coil, make sure all your wiring is good, make sure you ahve the poper voltage to the coil, and be on your way.

I would trace all of the electrical lines back to their origin just to make sure that wasn't your only ground issue. If you found one fried, it fried for a reason, was it the first coil or was it something else that just used the coil as a ground path?
    2001 Red H1 Soft Top
    E-Locked

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you need to switch to a different brand of gum to hold those wires together. The Bubble-ishous you used at SnoFari was a fruit flavor, I would stick to Big Red or maybe Orbitz.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV