View Poll Results: pick one, it's anonymous

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stick with the $50, this sport isnt cheap.

21 43.75%
  • Find a way to get back to $35 with budget cuts

7 14.58%
  • There might be a happy medium for everything, lets find it.

20 41.67%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: What will you do when the dues increase?

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hate to continue the off-topic comments (sorry Bryce) but once and for all on the insurance:

1. Old policy said we could only have events for our members
    2. We allowed a "Daily" or "Temp" membership for a small fee so non-members could attend
    3. We got a new policy to meet our DNR Trail Maintenance Grant requirement for liability insurance. The same policy covers us for up to 4 events per year. In an effort to keep the policy affordable we told the insurance carrier our events were only for members, and we continued our policy of charging a "one-time" fee for non-members to attend our events.
    4. In the process of determining if we could extend our insurance to cover other events, possibly attended by non-members, possibly competitive events, and possibly needing to extend coverage to property owners as additional insured parties, Jim and I got a letter back from the insurance company stating they were not concerned about whether event attendees were members.
    5. The Association needs to revisit whether or not we continue the policy of charging an additional fee for non-members to attend a GLFWDA event, hopefully at the next quarterly meeting.
    6. Anyone who wants to participate in Trail Maintenance can contact me for additional information. If you are not a GLFWDA member but are willing to help with trail maintenance, we will make appropriate arrangements to pay your GLFWDA membership from the DNR grant money or other sources.

**If I had the foggiest clue how to use the admin power I have I would cut and paste all of these insurance-related comments over to the other thread Jim started about insurance. (Hint Hint)
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Quote Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
    1. Yes - If GLFWDA pays the $100 membership fee (which we already approved at the last quarterly) the Association would be considered a member organization. The Association would then receive $3 from UFWDA for each UFWDA membership they receive that designates GLFWDA as the receipient under their OIP program.

2. We do not receive any additional Association benefit from joining at the 100% level that we currently maintain. I would need Doug, Pat or Jim to correct me if wrong, but I believe by going back to individual memberships in UFWDA we would each pay $30 instead of $25 for individual membership.

3. My crystal ball is in the shop, can't help you on this one.
    All
    Let me help with item #2?
    If your members join through GLFWDA, dues to UFWDA are $25.00, and if GLFWDA is checked, the association will get $3.00 returned via OIP.
    If your members join as Direct Members (use to be called Individual Members) the price is $30.00 with no return of the $3.00 to GLFWDA.

Also, to comment about moving UFWDA into the future, and bringing in paid staff. This is becoming pretty common as many associations now need to do this to stay on top of all the issues that effect them in the regional areas. Volunteers are good, and can do a lot, but if you also have to maintain an income to support your family, and donate time, and recreate, it can make you a very busy person. We at UFWDA still have the all volunteer BOD's, but now have a couple of paid office staff to help increase our awareness, and effeciency.
    Marti is doing a super job bringing in new businesses into our business model, and this helps keep our other costs down that we do not have to pass onto members.
    Amanda is keeping the office manned and sending out membership info and answering phones for us.
    Carla is always busy on the legal side of things, and is busier then most of us would probably want to be.
    We are always looking for ways to be more effecient, and always welcome your inputs to how we are doing.

Hope this helps.

Todd
    UFWDA - Director of Environmental Affairs
    Navy for 26 years, retired.

www.ufwda.org
    www.accessarmy.com

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    Frank, you don't get it......... the one time $15 fee is dictated by a vote that was taken a couple years ago.

It is not dictated by the insurance company and it does not have anything to do with our liability. "Letting them in" is controlled by us. For an event, they sign waivers whether they pay money or not.

This is not an issue.
    All

This may be different for you guys, but here in Cali, when we have an event, the FS and BLM want to know if we will have non-members attending? This is so if we sell things to them, they can get a percentage of the revenue from the non-members, and we are supposed to charge tax to non-members. So, by making someone become a temporary member for the event, it saves us paperwork in the tax arena.

This is California that I know of though. Michigan could be different. But the rules for the FS and BLM could be the same though.

Todd
    Navy for 26 years, retired.

www.ufwda.org
    www.accessarmy.com

Thankfully we don't have that problem. Our only issue is making sure our insurance doesn't get violated. (for lack of better words)
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the clarification, Todd.
    KD8PAV

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    Thankfully we don't have that problem. Our only issue is making sure our insurance doesn't get violated. (for lack of better words)
    Violated? Makes me want to run to Blockbuster and rent Deliverance....
    KD8PAV

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Boy you sure do have a pretty mouth . . .

Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
    Violated? Makes me want to run to Blockbuster and rent Deliverance....
    i never could watch a movie with ned beatty in it after that.