Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Did Ya Know......Do Ya Care

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    I would like to see the link to form my own opinion. Maybe I'll have to go look for it.

Well, I just looked for the promo trailer and to be honest, I don't see anything wrong with it. Let's see.

Crossing a stream. Yep (splashing water? They certainly could have gone through it slower)
    Traversing a muddy crossing. Yep, happens all the time in the back country.
    Spinning tires in sand. Yep
    Climbing a hill. Yep
    Broken parts. Yep.

Unless there is more to it than on their promo, I can't get on the negative band wagon. Alaska is millions of square miles with very few roads. Just how does anyone expect to get in the outback without spinning a tire?
    I think the video I saw originally showed a much larger disregard for the environment. I'm not one who usually objects to what others do, but it was pretty offensive to me as a responsible wheeler, I did however only see the preview once a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by fsumotorhead View Post
    I think the video I saw originally showed a much larger disregard for the environment. I'm not one who usually objects to what others do, but it was pretty offensive to me as a responsible wheeler, I did however only see the preview once a few weeks ago.
    That's why I wanted to look at the trailer myself. I will speak out about irresponsible wheeling but I won't be a hypocrite who won't admit that we spin our tires. In addition, I will be curious if some of the show is filmed on private land.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Well I recorded it but forgot to watch it. From the bad press it is getting on GL4x4.com, it sounds like it is worse than anyone could have suspected. Is there contact info to complain to the network?
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

It did not make the OHV folks look good. I also taped and watched some of it. I will not watch anymore. Lots of foul language, etc. It was a waste.

I watched it. It was awful. Of all of the possibilities and potential for this show , what they came up with was certainly a let down. Even the graphic to introduce each vehicle and its mods showed a total lack of appreciation for our pastime. What appeared to be a staged argument to address the "tread lightly" issue early in the series totally missed the mark. They chose a couple down trees across an old mining road as the subject for impact on the environment (Sorry, but that is firewood in my eyes) while almost every truck was blazing its own trail at one point or another in an effort to pass or get ahead in the rally. A guy with a mullet repeatedly banging his head on the A pillar and ceiling (looked like he was KOed the 2nd time) due to no seat belt...........
    The list is so long it is comical.
    That being said.........I can't wait for next week. hahahahaha

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    ...Is there contact info to complain to the network?
    The History Channel, the Producers and the BLM have all stopped responding to inquiries. While I am not on FaceBook myself they do have a page for the show at https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater and their web site at http://www.history.com/shows/alaska-off-road-warriors
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Greenway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet so I can't judge the show. But, If you don't like a show, you can fire off a letter to the advertisers too. Nothing changes the attitude of a show like advertisers disappearing. If you do see something illegal (for Alaska), ask the advertisers if they condone illegal activity. That always gets their attention and gets the letter read.

I watched every episode of the show and frankly enjoyed most of it. I do realize there were some sensationalized moments and times that showed irresponsible behavior but for the most part it did not show anything I haven't seen on events sanctioned by this associaton.

It is my opinion that the positive press will outweigh the bad. Instead of showing a bunch of beer guzzling rednecks in jacked up trucks it showed real world trail rigs built on a budget on an awesome adventure.

I have long felt that the best way to keep our hobby alive (and legal) is to spotlight it to younger generations and make them feel they are welcome to join.

I personally would like to see a second season of the show.
    Recovered jeep addict on the straight and narrow with Toyotas