Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amature Radio...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Amature Radio...

Well, I've been wanting to get my license for some time now and have kept putting it off. After talking with some non-jeep friends of mine, I decided to just bite the bullet. With their advice, I ordered a radio from Universal-Radio.com tonight.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...xvrs/0080.html

Seems to be a good unit. Hopefully, if things work out, I will be taking the test on Tuesday.

The next step is setting this thing up in my Jeep. Anybody have some friendly advice? Is tuning similar to a CB?
    Oz
    KD8NFX

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member T-way's Avatar

You need to talk to Jim Mazzola or Jim Kitson!!!!

President - Troll Four Wheelers
    Vice President - ATVOffroad.net
    I'm Still Out There - I Haven't Gone Away!!

Quote Originally Posted by T-way View Post

Or OldSailor
    Eric Williams

What do you do with a radio like that? I have heard of people with ham radios but I just imagined people held up in their basement listening to them. Why is a test or license required?

Henry

Henry,

A license is required for several reason, one of which is Ham radios are capable of reaching great distances and are used in emergency situations as well in areas with no other means of communicating. What the license does is add accountability to the users of these units, with your license comes your call sign which is your identifier in the Ham world.

This keep the riff raff from clogging the airways with useless crap like you find with CB's. We use Ham radios when we wheel in Canada or when we have multiple trail leaders out with groups we can stay in touch with each other.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Thanks for the information Pat. I Looks like you can get quite a bit of money rapped up in a nice system.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by T-way View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mitrail400ex View Post
    Or OldSailor
    The Jims are who guided me towards a radio with dual recieve. From there advice, it was high on my list of wants.

They, along with Bob, has also given me lots of great info over the past year or so. With what they've all told me, and what other operators have told me, I chose the radio I did. There are a bunch out there that are cheaper, but this one should be good so I don't out grow it.

Henry, like Pat said, HAM is great because of the range and clarity. Wheeling at the Mounds isn't a real use for it as cell phones and everything else work, but up in the UP or Canada or something where there isn't any cell phone coverage would be bad if something bad were to happen. With a HAM, you can reach out many many miles, and with a repeater even talk around the world, so you can almost always find somebody to help.

And, it's a cool gadget... lol
    Oz
    KD8NFX

You learn something new every day. I had no idea these were made to install in vehicles. It would be nice if you could document the installation and learning the radio. It would make a great article for the boondocker also.

Henry

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where are you doing the testing at JR?
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Quote Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
    and with a repeater even talk around the world, so you can almost always find somebody to help.
    So if yer stuck in Canada you can find someone in Hong Kong that can help you?