Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Be careful what you say about Land use.

Default Be careful what you say about Land use.

For those who don't visit Pirate, the OP in this thread made a serious set of errors and the result was having to have his family air evacuated off his FJC in the middle of a river. Now since he wanted his 15 minutes of fame, he thinks he should be the spokes person for OHV users. The problem is, he is not knowledgeable enough to do so and most likely will end up hurting our community more than helping it.

It is food for thought as we should all be aware that the opposition most likely reads the majority of what we write in these off road forums.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792592

I've read through the pirate thread and there's a couple things I don't understand. I only know that they were caught in a flash flood and their vehicle was caught in the flood but the family escaped. So, what did he do wrong? I AM NOT speaking from experience, is he stupid for being caught in a flash flood or does this happen accidentally?

I agree there is no winning with the greenies.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

My understanding is that Fordyce creek where 4x4s pass is below a dam. Over the years on pirate, I have seen the locals post up the flow rates, and I believe they are posted somewhere, and when it's above a certain level, they don't recommend crossing.

I don't believe the rate changes randomly, but occassionally a less experienced wheeler will try and cross when the rate is too high and their rig gets washed downriver.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    I've read through the pirate thread and there's a couple things I don't understand. I only know that they were caught in a flash flood and their vehicle was caught in the flood but the family escaped. So, what did he do wrong? I AM NOT speaking from experience, is he stupid for being caught in a flash flood or does this happen accidentally?

I agree there is no winning with the greenies.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
    My understanding is that Fordyce creek where 4x4s pass is below a dam. Over the years on pirate, I have seen the locals post up the flow rates, and I believe they are posted somewhere, and when it's above a certain level, they don't recommend crossing.

I don't believe the rate changes randomly, but occassionally a less experienced wheeler will try and cross when the rate is too high and their rig gets washed downriver.
    Correct, the flow rates are posted at many places for the public to see and read. It was not a flash flood, but a planned dam opening that had been announced for weeks. Add in the fact that he didn't read up on the trail he was headed for, and it created a dangerous situation.

What he did and continues to do, is talk to the media on Land use that he has no clue of. He has even stated that he is not sure what the answers are, but still answers them.
    To me, he is enjoying his 15 minutes in the limelight and doesn't want to give them up.

Gotcha. I thought this was the one I saw on the news where the flood was a result of a storm upstream.

Either way, he needs to shut up.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
    What he did and continues to do, is talk to the media on Land use that he has no clue of. He has even stated that he is not sure what the answers are, but still answers them.
    To me, he is enjoying his 15 minutes in the limelight and doesn't want to give them up.
    Stupid is, Stupid does! The man knowingly, wittingly doesn't know/have the answers, yet he perceives he can excuse his stupidity if he keeps talking. Give him enough rope is all they are doing...
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    Gotcha. I thought this was the one I saw on the news where the flood was a result of a storm upstream.

Either way, he needs to shut up.
    I think you are referring to the incident in Moab about a week or so ago. Jeep stalled in a stream while crossing and was swept away by the flash flood from the mountains about 80 miles away. That guy actually did well, when they head the water coming he got his family out of the water and to high ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Stupid is, Stupid does! The man knowingly, wittingly doesn't know/have the answers, yet he perceives he can excuse his stupidity if he keeps talking. Give him enough rope is all they are doing...
    Problem for me is, he was running a barely modified rig on 33's. Now he is suddenly an expert on rigs running 38"+ tires and modified suspensions. Talking about how these rigs impact the environment vs. stock vehicles, etc.

Problem with them giving him enough rope to hang himself is, good chance our sport will get hit by his swinging boots.

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
    [COLOR="Red"]IProblem for me is, he was running a barely modified rig on 33's. Now he is suddenly an expert on rigs running 38"+ tires and modified suspensions. Talking about how these rigs impact the environment vs. stock vehicles, etc.

Problem with them giving him enough rope to hang himself is, good chance our sport will get hit by his swinging boots.
    I couldn't agree more...

Trying to help the guy has no benefit either because he doesn't have a clue as to just remaining silent.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Just another ant. Business Member shaker's Avatar

Maybe there should be a IQ standard for wheeling supporters. But then again we sure would lose a lot of supporters.

To me the greeny's look dumber, but yeah we should all attack a fellow wheeler. Makes us look so good.
    Some times you live and learn, sometimes you just live.

I've personally never liked Pirate for this very simple reason: You cannot ask anything without being flamed. This is my experience with it, you can agree or disagree as you see fit.

Now, having said that, I must add that this FJ guy is making himself into an asshat by not listening to KNOWN EXPERTS such as Del. I don't go on pirate enough to know any of the other people commenting. If they're professionals, they really need some work on people skills.

As a rule, I don't comment outside of what I can speak intelligently about. Maybe this FJ guy should try the same.
    [CENTER]USMC INFANTRY
    Get your junk out on the rocks.[/CENTER]