Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Be careful what you say about Land use.

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shaker View Post
    He said he is not conversing with them anymore, is that not heeding thee advice?

I am one of the ignorant ones, I have gone to a couple DNR meetings having no idea what to say, so I said little to nothing. I feel that all I did was waste my time going, and the pirate thread and this one have helped none.
    The not conversing part, yes; trying to defend his actions when he was knowingly wrong, no.

I will have to wholeheartedly agree that the majority of DNR Meetings I attend is waste of time. But the need to be there so they are aware we aren't going anywhere and we will continue to work to make change is imperative. I, like the DNR, spend considerable time gathering information and documenting actions taken and/or opportunities missed. I try following those that have been successful in achieving their own goals as I continue to do what I can for our sport.

I wholeheartedly agree (again) we need to reach out and help one another, for if we can't band together the greenies have already won. As to this thread and that of pirate, I have to leave for each individuals interpretation as to what they take from it.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member T-way's Avatar

Well stated Bob!!

President - Troll Four Wheelers
    Vice President - ATVOffroad.net
    I'm Still Out There - I Haven't Gone Away!!

I followed that thread on Pirate for the whole thing. I even commented that he needed to stay away from the Anti-Access crowd, as they would eat him and his family for breakfast. I am Navy-Jeepster over on Pirate.

This is my opinion, as I think he got over his head with the issues of trying to recover his rig, protect his family, and save face with the wheeling crowd.

He did something wrong, and has pretty much commented about that. Also, this is what the news media printed, and aired. they failed to show his comments to those that helped him recover his rig.
    He is out of work, and now with a busted rig from his actions that day.
    They are lucky to be alive after their attempt at rafting a FJC.

The guy has pretty much stopped talking on Pirate after he got flamed by many people their. I do not condone the flaming that took place, as it is the norm is many of the threads their.
    We try to keep it away from the Land Use section, and they all know it.
    He posted the same question in numerous threads on Pirate about the Enviros asking him questions.

I would hope that we could educate him to the point that he could become a good advocate for 4x4 access, as he does have a law background. Always a good asset in our sport, but those that flamed him, may have ruined that for us in land use. We will see what happens with him in the near future.

Thanks

Todd
    Navy for 26 years, retired.

www.ufwda.org
    www.accessarmy.com

Agree with you Todd that the flaming was, well typical Pirate. They are consistent if nothing else. However, my purpose with this thread was to point out just what you stated, be careful what you say to the media.

As you pointed out in your post, he made positive comments to the medial, but all they reported was what made for sensational reporting. It doesn't matter how much good you say, it is what the media perceives as exciting or popular that they will report.

It is like the old Chrysler minivan commercial when they were giving out the free Shrek II DVD's. The commercial goes thru all the hoopla of the benefits of the minivan, then it shows the kid sitting there thinking of what he is hearing.
    His take on the commercial? "Free Shrek II DVD" .

I would hope that those with calmer heads can get FJ to join us in or fight. However, I think the biggest hurdle in doing so is his own ego. He refused to listen to people like Del and Bebe and stop talking. In his defense, I think he got caught up in the whole media mess and it spiraled out of control faster than he thought. But if he is a good lawyer, he should be able to recognize that the media is out to twist stories into sensational news, they don't care about the mundane.

These are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

RJ

Icemanii

I agree with you about it spiraling out of control on him quickly.

Now that things have calmed down, I plan on sending him a PM to see if we can get him to start being active in land use.

Cal4Wheel can always use another lawyer to help with land law if needed.
    I think that was the guys background. Use him to our advantage in the near future after the greenies think they might have burned him.
    Most of the greenies follow threads on Pirate.

I for one stay out of other areas of Pirate, as the flames get pretty hot at times.

Todd
    Navy for 26 years, retired.

www.ufwda.org
    www.accessarmy.com

Just another ant. Business Member shaker's Avatar

I don't even have an account on pirate, because I know I would just make the flames and nonsense on that forum worse. I lurk pirate and other big forums like it, for the good that comes from them. Good tech advice and such. But in the big picture I think forums like pirate do as much harm as good.

As stated our political enemies surf those sites, and they find plenty to use against us. From things like this thread, and other attention seeking threads from modified vehicle crashes on the road, to illegal wheeling. (which generally get lots of attention, and are spread all over the Internet)

Seems like we shoot ourselves in the foot over and over again. A forum can be friendly and represent the off road community well when small and insignificant. But as soon as it gets big enough to get attention things go south, the flames start and never stop.

Kinda like this thread, I just see it spreading a thread from pirate that I would just as soon not be there. And is skating on the verge of a blow up here.
    Some times you live and learn, sometimes you just live.

Quote Originally Posted by navy-jeepster View Post
    Icemanii

I agree with you about it spiraling out of control on him quickly.

Now that things have calmed down, I plan on sending him a PM to see if we can get him to start being active in land use.

Cal4Wheel can always use another lawyer to help with land law if needed.
    I think that was the guys background. Use him to our advantage in the near future after the greenies think they might have burned him.
    Most of the greenies follow threads on Pirate.

I for one stay out of other areas of Pirate, as the flames get pretty hot at times.

Todd
    Excellent Todd!

Thank you for taking the ball and running with it. I agree, with they guys background in law, we could use his help. I think if he is approached by the calmer, experienced people from the sites he will respond much better.

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who says good things can't from bad beginnings?

I would like to Thank All of You for your Contributions.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Just another ant. Business Member shaker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    The not conversing part, yes; trying to defend his actions when he was knowingly wrong, no.

I will have to wholeheartedly agree that the majority of DNR Meetings I attend is waste of time. But the need to be there so they are aware we aren't going anywhere and we will continue to work to make change is imperative. I, like the DNR, spend considerable time gathering information and documenting actions taken and/or opportunities missed. I try following those that have been successful in achieving their own goals as I continue to do what I can for our sport.

I wholeheartedly agree (again) we need to reach out and help one another, for if we can't band together the greenies have already won. As to this thread and that of pirate, I have to leave for each individuals interpretation as to what they take from it.

You know, I didn't understand this the first time I read it. But it is starting to sink in now.
    Some times you live and learn, sometimes you just live.