Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need info about ORV permit on Drummond - Sorta urgent

Exclamation Need info about ORV permit on Drummond - Sorta urgent

Ok, I was wunderin.

Why is it that we need a ORV permit for drummond island?

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

They seem to have slipped in a slight rule change. Previous to opening the 4WD only route on Drummond all ORV routes were also forest roads that you could have driven down anyways, so no permit was required. Now they have rewritten the rule to say:

Vehicles that are licensed under the Motor Vehicle Code as "street vehicles" require an ORV license only when they are being used as an ORV. A street-licensed ORV does not need an ORV license to use forest roads, but it will need an ORV license if it is used on designated trails or in areas designated for cross-country use.
    http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/handbook/registration.htm

So if what your on does not qualify as a forest road i.e. something you can drive an ordinary car down, you need an ORV permit to drive down it.
    Bruce
    Individual member #6774

I also gathered from this week's ORV advisory meeting that ANY vehicle on an ORV designated path requires a sticker. This would also include a motorcyle on an MCCCT trail where the trail co-travels an ORV trail.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    I also gathered from this week's ORV advisory meeting that ANY vehicle on an ORV designated path requires a sticker. This would also include a motorcyle on an MCCCT trail where the trail co-travels an ORV trail.

Well, whether I like that ruling or not, at least it's finally some solid information potentially keeping me/us from getting caught with our pants down.
    I'VE GOTTA HAVE MORE COWBELL, BABY!!!

'86 cj7

Quote Originally Posted by rentalrider View Post
    Well, whether I like that ruling or not, at least it's finally some solid information potentially keeping me/us from getting caught with our pants down.
    Except look at what the signs we just put up say. The sign on the ORV Route tells me I do not need a ORV sticker.

free market capitalist timbercruiser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-S View Post
    Except look at what the signs we just put up say. The sign on the ORV Route tells me I do not need a ORV sticker.

If I were to get a ticket, I would bring that sign into court.
    That being said, I have no problem buying a sticker IF the money goes to trail maintenance/building etc...
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!

Chainsaws don't kill trees, I DO!!

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-S View Post

oops. They are planning on replacing all the signs with something completely different. Too bad they aren't ready.
    Bruce
    Individual member #6774

They will have a hard time enforcing that then. With about a billion of these signs out there.

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timbercruiser View Post
    If I were to get a ticket, I would bring that sign into court.
    That being said, I have no problem buying a sticker IF the money goes to trail maintenance/building etc...
    Our ORV permit dollars stay in the ORV program, so at least you can rest assured it isn't going to pay for cable TV at Jackson State Prison.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

I am glad I saw this thread because I was unaware an ORV sticker would now be required.