Thread: Omnibus Public Lands Bill - March 16 Vote

Default Omnibus Public Lands Bill - March 16 Vote

Omnibus Public Lands Bill is still alive and to be voted on Monday March 16!

Thursday 12 March was a sad day for Americans who enjoy traveling the great outdoors and for international observers of the US law making process.

One of the biggest land use Bills, the once named Omnibus Bill, now tacked onto H.R. 146, has been engineered in Congress to allow minimal discussion despite its complexity and huge implications to 4x4 recreation, energy resources etc..

It is vital that you call or email your Senators and representatives immediately, to demand that they vote NO to the passage of H.R. 146 in its present form. The House votes on Monday afternoon.

To find your Officials, the AMA have a useful system on www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

The irony is that H.R. 146 is the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Protection Act Bill, to recognise those sites in US history where citizens died for their beliefs.

http://rpc.senate.gov/public/_files/hotline0.html

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h146/show

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...6&position=all

Peter Vahry

UFWDA international vice-president

intlvp@ufwda.org
    2001 Red H1 Soft Top
    E-Locked

free market capitalist timbercruiser's Avatar

Bart Stupak has an e-mail
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!

Chainsaws don't kill trees, I DO!!

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 Fails.

In a House vote today of 282-144, S.22: Omnbibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, which would have greatly expanded public wilderness areas, parks and miles and miles of public trails, failed to achieve the 2/3 majority needed to pass.

To find out how your Congressman voted, visit govtrack.us.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-117

###

United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA) is the leading representative for four wheel drive enthusiasts. UFWDA is a group of individuals, clubs, state, regional, provincial and national associations and businesses in the United States and around the world; our members span the globe from the U.S. and Canada, New Zealand, Australia, England, Japan, South Africa, and Iceland. If you would like more information on how you can be a part of this effort contact United Four Wheel Drive Associations today at 14525 SW Millikan Way #22622, Beaverton, OR 97005-2343, 1-800-448-3932 or visit www.ufwda.org.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Levin Hails President Obama’s Signing Public Lands Bill Into Law

WASHINGTON – Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., issued the following statement today:

“I am thrilled to see President Obama today sign into law the omnibus public lands bill, a measure that will benefit Michigan and the nation by enhancing preservation of natural and historic resources and improving recreational opportunities for current and future generations.

“This legislation will provide a significant boost to Michigan through four provisions I authored. First, the bill removes several onerous federal requirements and increases authorized funding levels for the Upper Peninsula’s Keweenaw National Historical Park, allowing the park to better carry out its mission to bring to life the rich history of Michigan’s “copper country.” Next, the bill authorizes the federal government to purchase land from willing sellers for the North Country National Scenic Trail, the nation’s longest hiking trail, 1,000 miles of which traverse through Michigan. I have been seeking that change for ten years and am particularly pleased that public-minded citizens will now have the right to sell easements or even portions of their land to the federal government should they choose to do so and if it is in the national interest.

“After years of careful planning and public input, the bill will also protect 12,000 pristine acres of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore along the south shore of majestic Lake Superior while preserving access and recreational opportunities for the public. Finally, the bill contains legislation I sponsored with Representative John Dingell that designates key River Raisin battle sites primarily in Monroe County, Michigan, a strategic front in the War of 1812, as a unit of the National Park System in time for the upcoming 200th anniversary of the War of 1812.

“Each of these provisions will pay dividends for years to come by protecting natural beauty and history in Michigan while also encouraging tourism and recreation and celebrating everything our state has to offer.”

http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=310777
    Eric Williams

Previous post received as part of the following email:

Dear Mr. Williams:

I thought you might be interested in hearing about recent action on several pieces of legislation affecting the Great Lakes, historical preservation, and National Parks in Michigan.

The Great Lakes face serious threats from invasive species, legacy pollution and habitat degradation. Last night, the Senate passed the fiscal year 2010 Budget Resolution (S.Con.Res.13), which includes $475 million in new funding, as proposed by President Obama, to address these threats. I am pleased that the Senate approved this funding, in part due to a request from the Great Lakes Task Force, which I co-chair. This funding must still be allocated through the annual appropriations process, and I will continue to work to ensure that the Great Lakes receive the proper protection they deserve as the Senate considers future appropriations legislation. Protecting and restoring the Great Lakes will take years of sustained effort, coupled with significant public and private investment. I am pleased that the Senate has recognized this fact and is now working to allocate these funds for the restoration of this national treasure.

In addition, I introduced a bill last week to address the threat of phosphorus in the Great Lakes (S.675). Excess amounts of phosphorus in a body of water can accelerate a process known as eutrophication, or the rapid growth of algae, which causes dense algal blooms to occur. Algal blooms can cause severe environmental damage by killing fish and other aquatic organisms and can result in “dead zones” that favor the survival of invasive species such as carp over native species. My bill would limit the use of phosphates in automatic dish washing detergent by banning the sale of residential dish washing detergent that has more than 0.5 percent phosphorous. This common sense legislation would create a uniform national limit on the use of phosphates, thus helping to protect not only the Great Lakes, but all of our nation’s precious water resources.

Also, last week, I joined several of my colleagues in the Senate to introduce the National Lighthouse Stewardship Act (S.715). This legislation would create a three year competitive grant program to help pay for the preservation and rehabilitation of lighthouses in Michigan and across the country. If enacted, this legislation could help to preserve some of the more than 120 lighthouses located in Michigan. To read my full statement on this bill please click on the following link: [http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=310570].

Finally, earlier this week, the President signed the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 into law (P.L.111-11). This act contains four pieces of legislation that I sponsored in the Senate to assist in preserving Michigan’s rich history and natural beauty. Specifically, this bill will improve the Keweenaw National Historical Park in the Upper Peninsula; establish the Beaver Basin Wilderness at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Lake Superior; create the River Raisin National Battlefield Park in Monroe and Wayne counties; and authorize land acquisition from willing sellers for the North Country National Scenic Trail, 1,000 miles of which run through our beautiful state. I encourage you to read more about this critical legislation by viewing my statement at [http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=310777]

Even in this difficult economic climate, we cannot ignore the restoration and preservation of Michigan’s most treasured natural and historical resources. I hope you will visit my website at [http://levin.senate.gov] to read more about my efforts in these and other areas.
    Sincerely,
    Carl Levin
    Eric Williams