Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another GPS question

Default Another GPS question

Found some real helpful information on doing a search in the GLFWDA forums. Have to admit to being somewhat GPS illiterate.

Have narrowed the choices down to the Garmin
    60CSx
    76CSx
    Colorado/Oregon 400T models

The CSx models you have to buy the Topo software but that now allows you to have it on your computer. Does this bought software allow you to plan out a trip on the computer and then download the information to the GPS unit ? Would it include Microsoft earth ?

The CSx and 400t`s use a different memory card. Know nothing about MC`s so should it be a consideration in purchasing ?

Has anyone used the VVMapping with one of the 400T models ?

Hopefully I am providing enough information so as to be asking the right questions. As I am not sure the questions I should be asking !!

Thanks !!

Only plan on using the GPS in the Jeep so road manners are not that important. I think

you can't go wrong with the 60 series. i don't own one myself, but if and when i upgrade my gps, that is what i am going to get. as far as vvmapping goes, the owner Jeremy did a fantastic job of putting this all together. i use it everytime i go out quadding. just in case you may or may not know, he is 2trakr over at atvoffroad's website. he is very helpful and will help answer any gps question you may have. plus, we have a couple topics going on there as well about gps units right now. listed under accessories, gadgets and toys thread...

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

John, if you desire to use the GPS on and Off-Road, either the 60CSx and 76CSx will serve you well.

If your primary focus is off-road and you don't any type of city navigation, go with the Colorado/Oregon 400T models.

The base loaded city maps are the greatest difference between the models selected here.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

I asked this pretty much same question about a month ago. lol

I ended up buying the Oregon 400t. Pretty much all the research I did stated the Oregon and the Colorado will do everything the 60 and 76 series will do but in a newer model. Also, the user interface of the Oregon and Colorado is easier to use for a newer gps like myself and from the sounds of it you. The Oregon has the touch screen which allows much easier scrolling and entering of info versus the Colorado. Also, the Colorado and the Oregon have a much bigger screen than the others too which I liked.

I love my Oregon so far. I have absolutely no complaints. I paid about 475 for the Oregon 400t and a car kit and a couple other misc. goodies for it. It's a bit pricier than some of the others, but everything seemed to point to it being much easier to use, or learn, than the others so I went for it. I figured I might as well pony up now and be happy.

The downfall is you don't really get any software with it. If you want Mapsource for your computer you have to buy it, which adds money. However there are some free programs you can download that will allow you to save tracks and such.

I'm still learning with mine but I love my Oregon.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Colorado and Oregon do not have routable road maps on them. In other words, many of the roads are there because they are part of the loaded topo maps, but it can't route you to a specific address. If you want that you have to pony up another 100 bucks for that software. I already had a nice roadgoing gps though so that doesn't really bother me.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
    Found some real helpful information on doing a search in the GLFWDA forums. Have to admit to being somewhat GPS illiterate.

Have narrowed the choices down to the Garmin
    60CSx
    76CSx
    Colorado/Oregon 400T models

The CSx models you have to buy the Topo software but that now allows you to have it on your computer. Does this bought software allow you to plan out a trip on the computer and then download the information to the GPS unit ?
    I've got the GPSMap76CSx and City Navigator 2008 software.

Yes you can plan it on computer on MapSource as a route and up load it, but your GPS preferences may still change the route to your destination depending on your preferences of "Follow road" or "Off road" or "most direct route" or "faster time." The only really stupid part of Garmin MapSource is that Routes are for roads, Tracks are for un-mapped travel areas, but this can be overcome fairly easily with 'track' join, erase, draw & point select. You can store up to 20 tracks available on the GPS unit. When I got over 20 I saved them all on the computer and just load the ones from the areas I'm headed to or bring a laptop with them all.

Would it include Microsoft earth ?
    Mine didn't, but you can view MapSource overlayed on Google Earth.

The CSx and 400t`s use a different memory card. Know nothing about MC`s so should it be a consideration in purchasing ?
    I've got a 1g micro card now & that holds almost every street east of the Mississippi Heard they even have bigger cards now. You can pick and choose maps along your route, did that to go out west making a 100 mile overlap either side of the route. Or get another micro card and load the whole USA/Canada.

We use it as much out of the car hiking, conoeing, geocash, etc.. and it floats, only one available at that time that floated. No regrets here, any one you buy will be outdated by the time you get it home so look for features that fit your life

[QUOTE=jsawduste;47155]
    The CSx and 400t`s use a different memory card. Know nothing about MC`s so should it be a consideration in purchasing ?/QUOTE]

I forgot to comment on this part. I purchased a micro sd card on ebay. I got a 4gb Sandisk for less than $10 and it works great. And let's face it, I highly doubt I'll ever put more than 4gb on it.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Hey folks,
    thank you very much for all the help. Many of my questions have been answered and I feel I can make an educated decsion now. 60CSx or maybe the 76CSx.

As told, Jeremy from VV mapping was great. He explained the questions I had on his software and how to best use it. Ordered up a full set of ORV and Snowmobile tracks.
    http://www.vvmapping.com/

Thanks again and see ya on the trails !!

I would like to add that you can find some good deals on Remanufactured GPS's at GlobalComputers.com and/or Tigerdirect.com . I don't want to stear you away from any specific place or direct you towards these websites for any particular reason, other then to save some cash. (HOWEVER, If you were planning on purchaing from one of the GLFDA sponsers then forget this post.)

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MTing! View Post
    I would like to add that you can find some good deals on Remanufactured GPS's at GlobalComputers.com and/or Tigerdirect.com . I don't want to stear you away from any specific place or direct you towards these websites for any particular reason, other then to save some cash. (HOWEVER, If you were planning on purchaing from one of the GLFDA sponsers then forget this post.)

Just a thought.
    Thanks for the consideration.

Ended up ordering the 76CSx. Shopped around and found Amazon hard to beat.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Handhel...5102558&sr=1-1

Picked up the RAM mount, protective case and cig. lighter cord.

Jeremy sent the Michigan ORV and Snowmobile maps with a loaded card.

So should be good to go.

Thanks to all !!

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Let us know how you like the Michigan ORV and Snowmobile Maps...
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html