Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Oregon 400t

Default Garmin Oregon 400t

Ok, I got looking at gps devices today while at Gander Mountain. My Magellan just isn't cutting it. I looked at the Oregon model while I was there, and then I was also looking at the Colorado Model. From everything I'm reading online, they are saying the Oregon is a much better unit.

Here's my question. It says it'll do 20 tracks with 10,000 points along each. Is this what I need to do the various mapping things? Is this enough, or what?

Whiterhino, I think you said I need at least 15? Jarhead, tracks are my big concern, or is there something else?

Any input would be great. I don't want to spend $400 bucks and then it not do what I want.

Thanks!
    Oz
    KD8NFX

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

jarhead and greybeard both know gps units inside and out.
    i would want one that has a color screen, and is sd card expandable.
    ive seen used ones on ebay, so look around.

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Oregon and Colorado Models are better suited for the hiker or off-road bicyclist as it comes with topo only.

I would direct you toward the Garmin GPSMAP 60 Cx or GPSMAP 76 Cx; both models come with the built-in Americas AutoRoute basemap covers North and South America and has extra detail for inside the US. By using the basemap they can guide you turn-by-turn with visual directions and audible tones along highways and interstates. When map data from Garmin's optional MapSource City Select software is purchased and downloaded into the unit this capability is greatly expanded to include details street level maps and points of interest. The best way to do this is to purchase the automotive navigation kit; which includes the City Select software and vehicle accessories such as a mounting bracket and power cord. The units are also compatible with many other Garmin Mapsource software CD's such as TOPO and Bluechart so you can be ready wherever your adventures take you.

Feature for feature they are one in the same although I would dare say the Garmin GPSMAP 60 Cx appears to be more rugged, the GPSMAP 76 Cx has more memory (at time of purchase).

Like a computer, I like memory.

Either way, you should be able to get either one for around $300.00.

If you want someting for less monies, take a look at Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Color GPS.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

I have another gps for all the road crap and I like the smaller size of the Oregon. And if I ever wanted to I could purchase the city navigation software.

I also like the smaller size of the Oregon so I can use it for hunting / snowshoeing / mountain biking etc. I haven't checked out the others you mentioned Bob.

Overall though, is the track thing the big thing I need to be looking for?
    Oz
    KD8NFX

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

i have used and have access to the older gpsmap76. it was full of options. not real big either. a little wider and taller that the etrex. still a handheld. would fit in many jacket pockets. could easily be used on bike or while hunting. there is so many options i was way lost in it. it would take me a while to figure it out.

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=351#gpsmap76csx

I've got a 76CSx, Use it for mapping all the trips we go on. Big enough color screen for vehicle use, small enough to be good for hiking / geocashing. Tons of features. Uses SD cards for maps & expanded memory. Most importantly (for my Jeep) it floats There's tons of different car, bike, boat, etc. mounts for them. Don't waste your money on the external antenna, the internal works fine. I packed it away in luggage in the back of my wifes blazer when we went up north and it still made a perfect 100 mile track. I got it right after they came out and since then have never lost a signal.

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

If you want someting for less monies, take a look at Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Color GPS.
    I caught a sale recently at Bass Pro Shop - I got the e-Trex Vista HCx(extra goodies vs Legend that I really didn't need, but on sale cheaper than Legend), sD US Topo map, car cord & dash mount, out the door for around $350. Screen is pretty small, but I use mine for hunting & fishing too, so it was a bit of a compromise.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

My buddy has an older Vista and the screen is tiny, so I'm thinking I would like something a little bigger.

I read a reviews of the Colorado, Oregon, and 60 CSX and it looks like they have many of the same features, and similar base maps. From what I've seen online the Colorado and the 60 CSX are similarly priced, with the Oregon about 50 bucks more. From the reviews I've read though they say the Colorado and the Oregon are much simpler to learn than the 60 CSX because of the user interface. They say this is especially true with the Oregons touch screen.

All of the accept 20 tracks with 10,000 points along the way. The 60 CSX has more street maps already on it, but for true street mapping it looks like you still need to buy the City Navigator, just like you do for all of them. Topo maps are already installed as well.

Cool thing with the Colorado and the Oregon is you can overlay topo maps and street maps or any other type of map you have on it. I thought that was a cool feature (although I don't know how usefull, especially in flat Michigan).

I'm still going to do a little more research, but I think I like the Oregon best. It's slightly more pricey, but I shouldn't have to buy another anytime soon.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

OZ,
    Yes, I believe you need a minimum of 15 tracks BOTH upload and download. This is important as Garmin has some units that can store and download to your computer but you can't upload them back to your GPS for future runs. (ask Jim M about this) It's also a must to be able to to accept topo maps.

Personally, if you really want a GPS that will be used primarily for offroading, a color unit with a slightly larger screen is really nice. How much are you really going to be hiking to require limiting your vehicle usage? I follow the 80/20 rule. IE; base it on what you will be using it for 80% of the time. Also get the car adaptor kit.

Mike, is yours a 76CS or a 276? I have the 276C.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    Mike, is yours a 76CS or a 276? I have the 276C.
    Mine is the GPSMap 76CSx. Got it a couple years ago when they had just hit the shelves. We use it as much (probably more) out of the car as in, so the electronic compass and the 'Floats' features were pluses for us when canoeing/geocashing. Bass Pro had all kinds of accessory mounts, antenna, etc. right there when I got it so that kind of helped too. They also had the introductory price mis marked / and instant rebate offer screwed up, got a super deal at the time. You can upload & download tracks/ routes also.