Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mounds Phase 2 supposedly approved!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mounds Phase 2 supposedly approved!

Lost track of time and just realized I didn't post this here! I am in idiot

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...st_with_n.html

Off-roaders to get boost with new addition to Genesee County's Mounds ORV Park

by Elizabeth Shaw | The Flint Journal Thursday January 08, 2009, 1:48 PM

Note: The time stamp of this article has been changed from its original post earlier today. New information was added.
    GENESEE TOWNSHIP, Michigan -- Off-road enthusiasts will have something more to roar about this year at the Mounds ORV Park.
    Genesee County parks officials got the word over the holiday break that the state Department of Natural Resources is giving them $100,000 to build the next bigger, badder and better phase of the Mounds Rock Crawl.
    A DNR grant last year built Phase One, a three-quarter-acre rock course designed to be handled by most stock off-road vehicles, with rocks 12 inches in diameter or less.
    The new Phase Two will cover about 1.5 acres with a rolling log jam trail, a staircase feature and a rock crawl with boulders 30 inches or more in diameter.
    "It's not so much the size of the course. It's the challenge. And this is going to have you going over things you just shouldn't be going over," joked parks Deputy Director Ron Walker.
    One of those revving his engines in anticipation is Bob DeVore of Swartz Creek, a longtime Hummer enthusiast and self-described "retired jarhead" whose pewter H2, complete with replica 50-caliber machine gun turrets mounted on the hood, is a familiar sight at the Mounds.
    "I just love the challenge. It's man and machine versus Mother Nature," said DeVore, who helped supply the original course concepts used in the Rowe Inc. engineering design for the three-phase, 10-acre area. "This is not a fast-paced sport. It's very slow, tedious work with a spotter. You pick your line and work your way through very methodically. It could take a half-hour to get 100 feet, depending just how well the rocks are placed."
    The Mounds is the only public ORV facility with a rock crawl in the Lower Peninsula, said Walker, and regularly draws off-roaders from as far away as Ohio and Indiana.
    "A lot of people stopped going to the Mounds because it would turn into just a lot of mud, which is fun too, but this is opening up the horizons to even more people coming to play because it's a different avenue, a different approach to off-highway fun," said DeVore. "Since they opened the first phase, there's not a weekend there's not somebody out there on the rocks. It's been very well-received."
    In fact, DeVore first caught the off-road bug at the annual Hummer Happening hosted at the Mounds by Al Serra Auto Plaza's Hummer division.
    "That's what had me embrace this whole concept of off-highway usage," said DeVore.
    Walker said they hope to get started on the project in the late spring but transporting the heavy boulders will have to wait until after the frost advisories are lifted from the roads.
    "Depending on the weather, it could be finished by late summer, early fall," said Walker.
    And after that? DeVore is already rubbing his hands together in anticipation for Phase 3.
    "My truck can do levels one and two, no problem. But if they build it to a tee, when we get to the Level 3 Extreme, I couldn't do it without assistance. I'll need a winch to scramble up and over. I can't wait."

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes it is...
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

The comments are absolutely infuriating. I want to post more, but don't want to argue with an idiot on the mlive site over the internet. Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
    The comments are absolutely infuriating. I want to post more, but don't want to argue with an idiot on the mlive site over the internet. Ugh

I bet that comment flammer has never gone for a ride in a Jeep with the top off!

She'll never understand, so it's not worth arguing with her.

I've never been to The Mounds, but hope to make a trip this summer. It sounds great!

Happy Trails!

I think you guys just have a thing for hoochmama.

Henry

I'm all sorts of happy about the progress there. Thanks to all those that helped move that forward over the past (many) years.

Those comments are funny! I am impressed with the replies on "our" side, I like how we haven't resorted to name calling. Its hard to explain facts to someone that already "knows" the facts.
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

Anyone been out to the Mounds lately to see if this project has been started or have any new information on the progress of phase 2 at the Mounds? Just curious...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GL08JK View Post
    Anyone been out to the Mounds lately to see if this project has been started or have any new information on the progress of phase 2 at the Mounds? Just curious...
    I have only managed to get to the mounds three times this year (and it is only a half hour away). I am uncertain where this project is at; if no one has been out there to know, I'll have to schedule a visit.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member DDS4X4's Avatar

Replenished your spare parts???

Seems your wheeling plans lately have been spooked ...
    time to get some help to defend you from gremlins ...
    Doug - KD8EDH
    UFWDA http://www.ufwda.org/
    GLFWDA http://www.glfwda.org/
    IFWDA http://www.ifwda.org/

2000 WJ Grand Laredo V8 QD UC, trail rated & Doug tested
    Kevins Sliders, 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Cobra 76XTR,
    ARBw/Warn 9.5XP, EMU lift, JKS Discos, Icom V-8000, Garmin GPS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DDS4X4 View Post
    Replenished your spare parts???

Seems your wheeling plans lately have been spooked ...
    time to get some help to defend you from gremlins ...
    I am exchanging (core returns) a few parts today; I believe the gremlins are the GLFWDA President's Curse.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA