Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gitchee Gumee scouting trip invite

Several members of GL are going to be in Canada over the Labor Day weekend scouting new and overgrown trails for the upcoming GG event. In the past, we have gone with as many as 12-14 rigs in one group. We found dead ends, tight brush, some difficult obstacles and had some good times. But, our explorations have not been efficient. Example; Last year, we thought we had a line on a new trail that was an offshoot of a boring trail we explored the year before. We could not find the offshoot and ended up spending an entire day re running a trail that no one wanted to run. Again!

In order to be more effective this year, we are hoping to do things a little different. We have a few people who know the area pretty well and have ideas of where they want to explore. In addition, we have at least one new trail that has been discovered that requires some brushing. We hope to split up into small and capable groups for the exploration part. The trail to be brushed can be reached by a stock vehicle. However, stock vehicles will not make it through the obstacles and members will need to walk to help brush. I have walked this trail and it takes about 45 minutes to reach the top from where stock vehicles must park.

Any GL member is welcome. But, my invitation has some disclaimers that must accompany it and I do not want to sound selfish, premidona, bossy etc etc etc.
    We need people who are:
    -Not afraid of scratches on their vehicle or arms.

-Willing to get out and brush out a trail. In some cases, there may be more leg work than driving. Bring loppers.

-Willing to not be offended if thier rig needs to go a different direction. Explanation: There are some pre existing trails that can be run without tons of area knowledge. You may be a perfect candidate to run a trail to learn it and be the trail leader or ender for GG.

I am going up on Thursday night and exploring Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We are leaving Sunday night to get south of Mackinaw because of the bridge walk.

A couple of us are also considering traveling 2-3 hours further north on Saturday night to check out a new area outside of Wawa. The story is that the local chamber of commerce is promoting a wheeling area. One person has been there and says it looks promising. Anyone is welcome. Just plan on a few extra bucks for gas. Ouch!!!!

Hope to see you all there.
    A roll call response would be appreciated.

Jim
    -
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Hopefully, I'll be up by Thursday....if my tow vehicle behaves.

Same plan for me, Friday-Sunday, heading down Sunday night, past the bridge.

I've got my little chain saw with more gas this time!

Kieth and his truck are following me up too.

I'm picking up a TOPO CD for my new Garmin GPS to cover Canada as well as MI.

Lucas
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

roll-bar Bob

JIM sounds great I would love to go but I have a family ''thing'' that weekend that i cant get out of but next year i am in ''thing'' or ''no thing''

THANKS APPRECIATE THAT
    RBB

free market capitalist timbercruiser's Avatar

I'll be there. I found a nasty hill that will be rated a 5. I had to turn my quad around because it was too steep!!

I'll be there Friday (?) and Saturday.
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!

Chainsaws don't kill trees, I DO!!

Dave, did you remember to start your quad? Ha!

Where bouts?

Originally posted by timbercruiser@Aug 17 2005, 06:09 PM
    I'll be there. I found a nasty hill that will be rated a 5. I had to turn my quad around because it was too steep!!

I'll be there Friday (?) and Saturday.
    <div align="right">[snapback]5548[/snapback]

[/quote]
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK

free market capitalist timbercruiser's Avatar

I had to roll start it because it was too hot. Plus the brakes aren&#39;t fixed yet. It was quite a ride-I had to shut it off to get it to stop&#33;&#33;&#33;

It&#39;s located near The ski resort -not buttermilk. The town east of 17.
    We scouted it last summer, and decided further exploration was needed. Vic knows where it is as well.
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!

Chainsaws don't kill trees, I DO!!

After you have been there how many times, do you not know the names better or are you being purposely vague?

Originally posted by timbercruiser@Aug 18 2005, 09:50 AM
    I had to roll start it because it was too hot. Plus the brakes aren&#39;t fixed yet. It was quite a ride-I had to shut it off to get it to stop&#33;&#33;&#33;

It&#39;s located near The ski resort -not buttermilk. The town east of 17.
    We scouted it last summer, and decided further exploration was needed. Vic knows where it is as well.
    <div align="right">[snapback]5572[/snapback]

[/quote]
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK

I probably can&#39;t go on this because I have so much going on but I will still say I&#39;m a maybe and we will see what happeneds

Originally posted by timbercruiser@Aug 17 2005, 07:09 PM
    I found a nasty hill that will be rated a 5.
    <div align="right">[snapback]5548[/snapback]

[/quote]

you promise????

I think I&#39;m only going to give one day out in the Searchmont area this trip. I&#39;ll push through PIW and Short Cut and see about anything else in the area, closer to camp.

I hope to spend most of the time closer to camp scouting, gas as high as it is, I&#39;d rather not drive 1/2 hr to 45min to the trail head&#33;&#33;&#33;

I prepped the Jeep: I spray painted my bumper and added a new sticker.

Lucas

P.S. Jim, are you taking the Jeep or what??
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics