Thread: 1100 illegal dump sites in Michigan

Default 1100 illegal dump sites in Michigan

This spring you can help reduce the number of sites. Stay tuned for info on the First Michigan Wheelers Spring Clean-Up.

The Department of Natural Resources knows of 1100 illegal dump sites in Michigan -- but assumes there are even more.

It's a problem that is costly, messy and ugly.

"We know of 1100 trash sites on public land throughout the state and these are major piles. It's not just a beer can or one bag," Ada Takacs, who keeps track of the sites for the DNR, told 9 & 10 News.

Surprisingly, 54-percent of the trash found is recyclable.

The Northern Michigan counties with the highest number of illegal dump sites are:

1. Roscommon County...62
    2. Grand Traverse County...57
    3. Cheboygan County...50
    4. Kalkaska County...36
    5. Montmorency County...35
    6. Wexford County...29
    7. Mackinac County...28
    8. Mason County...29

"We do take it seriously," Lt. Creig Grey, a DNR Conservation officer, told 9 & 10 News. Lt. Grey said the DNR frequently issues tickets and makes arrests.

To help clean the sites, the DNR has an "Adopt-A-Forest" program set up through an organization called Michigan Coalition for Clean Forests.

They also rely on groups like Roscommon County Community Corrections to help. In exchange, the inmates get time removed from their sentences saving the county 1800 jail bed hours so far.

"I've never met a bad worker at any time," Officer Gerry Swatz told 9 & 10 News.

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member T-way's Avatar

The Troll Four Wheelers have extensive experience with the Adopt-A-Forest program. I'm sure we can muster some club members to help!

Let us know the details when you have them Tim. We'll see if we can't get some Trolls in the forest!!

President - Troll Four Wheelers
    Vice President - ATVOffroad.net
    I'm Still Out There - I Haven't Gone Away!!

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

I suspect theres way more than that, and I think the only reason Roscommon county is #1 on that list is that that is where the "adapt the forest" peopel are located so they've done more looking for and reporting illegal dump sites.

I'm already in the process of planning a cleanup for the St. Helens area in the spring.
    Bruce
    Individual member #6774

Yea Bruce. I agree.

I have spent many hours in the woods this year helping identify the large dump areas up here and working with the DNR to nail down a location where we can make the biggest impact. I have sent them my pictures and GPS information.

Right now it looks to be in the Kinross area.

I was reading the 9 and 10 news website this evening and they just did a story on the trash. They really need to do stories like that in the spring and summer when it can drum up people to help. With a foot of snow and 20 degrees is not the time to report on the stuff.

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member DDS4X4's Avatar

Slow news day ... an an opportunity to report something other than bad economy news.
    Doug - KD8EDH
    UFWDA http://www.ufwda.org/
    GLFWDA http://www.glfwda.org/
    IFWDA http://www.ifwda.org/

2000 WJ Grand Laredo V8 QD UC, trail rated & Doug tested
    Kevins Sliders, 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Cobra 76XTR,
    ARBw/Warn 9.5XP, EMU lift, JKS Discos, Icom V-8000, Garmin GPS

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member T-way's Avatar

A few years back, when the Trolls did a huge cleanup effort outside of Indian River, I phoned the Traverse City TV stations ahead of time and told them what we were doing.

9 & 10 News actually put us on their Michigan This Morning live remote, that they do every day. We were on the news live, talking about what we were going to do (as well as four-wheeling in general) about 4 times in a 2-hour broadcast. It was good PR for the sport.

President - Troll Four Wheelers
    Vice President - ATVOffroad.net
    I'm Still Out There - I Haven't Gone Away!!