Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: glfwda and religion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

Default glfwda and religion

would it be wrong for glfwda to take part in a religious holiday event?

would this be offensive some members?

what if it was for a religion other than your own, would that change your feelings?

My feeling is hey, whatever... If I don't like your religion, then I just won't come or volunteer....
    2011 Ford Raptor SCrew #6841- FPP Light Bar, Hella 550 lights
    2006 Hummer H3 - Adv. Package, lot's of other stuff
    1976 International Scout -

We all share a similar interest...Jeeps.
    I would leave it at that.

edit: meaning if it has a Jeep involved, count me in (if its up here in the north).

I guess I would need more detail. Since I am a Christian, I would only partake in a Christian holiday. That said, I still think there is a point where I still may choose to decline.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

makes no difference to me.
    Bruce
    Individual member #6774

I would need more details before commenting.
    Does it involve mixing wheeling with a church function ?
    Old school yj, not a big deal.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    I guess I would need more detail. Since I am a Christian, I would only partake in a Christian holiday. That said, I still think there is a point where I still may choose to decline.

x2

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

GLFWDA and Religion are both separate entities. Just as they are separate entities doesn't mean they don't overlap or travel similar paths. The fact that many of us have our Religious Faiths (regardless of denomination) doesn't decide whether we are supportive of GLFWDA and their efforts, or help decide what type of vehicle we drive.

If someone has an idea for a event, post it up. Just like any event that is offered up, there may or may not be people that are able to participate. If the event should happen to have a theme or a desired end result (such as the What Lies Beyond Jeep Club at The Mounds on Thanksgiving collecting for those less fortunate or the Sundowners who are collecting for Toys for Tots on December 5th), post it up. Give all the details; it is often times the details that will intrigue interest. A lack of details will have just got a cursory glance.

Got an idea for an event, post it up!
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having given this a little more thought, maybe I don't understand the question. My Faith, My Beliefs are a part of who I am; I don't separate those to be a part of GLFWDA.

One of our shared experiences in having foster children in or home is the opportunity to acquaint ourselves with other religions as we try to keep the children in our care in touch with their upbringing. Whether Religion, Culture, Heritage or simply family, these are all important aspects for a child to hang onto while in our care. We do everything we can whether attending places of worship different than our own, visiting the library to learn more, participating in festivals/holidays, etc. For if the foster care system works the way it is intended, the children return home and we want them to have a strong sense of who they are and where they came from, so they may better decide where they are going. Our lives have been greatly enhanced, even blessed by the children in our care.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

ok ill shed a little light on the question i asked.

i grew up in Oak Park. when i moved there, it was a nearly 100 percent jewish neighborhood. by some simple twist of fate yesterday my phone rang. the man on the other end started asking questions about glfwda.
    it turns out the guy i was talking to grew up in my old neighborhood. we talked for a while. he saw online where a hummer club on the west coast had taken part in a hanukah parade. he was wondering if we did things like this. im not a very religous man. i grew up in a community where i was exposed to different religions. my sister was actually jewish.
    this is a 2000 year old tradition. something they take very seriously.
    i think it is an honor to be invitied to such an event!

i talked to some other members about this event. we all were interested, but didnt wanna offend any other members. religion is a subject we dont bring up very often. i wanted to ask if we had any jewish members that wanted to participate. i didnt feel right asking someone to talk about their religion. i was not comfortable asking those kinda questions.

we have not commited to anything. we were interested in what other thought about this?

respectable comments welcome?