Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: glfwda and religion

Interesting subject. Since it deals with GLFWDA members’ thoughts and is potentially addressing GLFWDA policies, shouldn’t it be in the members only section?

As for the question at hand, the purpose of the event should be the main determining factor. If the event is for non-denominational charity or is somehow for the public good and the host of the event is a main stream group (or at least not an extremist group) and there is some positive benefit to GLFWDA, then it should be considered. If not, then as many have already pointed out, each individual should do as they please.

Anytime an individual is in public sporting the GLFWDA logo, regardless of when, where or who they are with, they should always remember to act as they are representing GLFWDA and act appropriately.
    Jim

88 GMC Jimmy, D60 LS, 14FF Detroit, 700R4, 241, 42 TSL

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Greenway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brods View Post
    Interesting subject. Since it deals with GLFWDA members’ thoughts and is potentially addressing GLFWDA policies, shouldn’t it be in the members only section?
    I think it should be in the public section. It's good for potential members to see this type of discussion to see if they agree with our ways and to help them see if they'll 'fit' as a member. I think this potentially controversial subject has been handled quite well by those who have posted in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenway View Post
    I think it should be in the public section. It's good for potential members to see this type of discussion to see if they agree with our ways and to help them see if they'll 'fit' as a member. I think this potentially controversial subject has been handled quite well by those who have posted in this thread.
    GLFWD is a Association.
    meaning:
    Voluntary association, a group of individuals who voluntarily enter into an agreement to accomplish a purpose

[edit] Freedom of association

The freedom of association stands in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
    Article 20 (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association. (2) No one may be compelled to belong to an association.
    Voluntary association

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    A voluntary association or union (also sometimes called a voluntary organization, unincorporated association, or just an association) is a group of individuals who voluntarily enter into an agreement to form a body (or organization) to accomplish a purpose.
    Strictly speaking in many jurisdictions no formalities are necessary to start an association. In some jurisdictions, there is a minimum for the number of persons starting an association. Some jurisdictions require that the association register with the police or other official body to inform the public of the association's existence. This is not necessarily a tool of political control but much more a way of protecting the economy from fraud. In many such jurisdictions, only a registered association is a juristic person whose membership is not responsible for the financial acts of the association. Any group of persons may, of course, work as an association but in such case, the persons making a transaction in the name of the association are all responsible for it.

Note: This Wikipedia entry deals with the legal concept legal person. There is an ongoing political debate and controversy in the United States over the extent to which constitutional rights presumed to have been created for natural persons have increasingly been asserted by corporations and other legal persons, popularly referred to as corporate personhood. For more information, see Corporate personhood debate.

Well guys seems we are not the only group to have this type of controversy.

A legal person, also called juridical person or juristic person,[1] is a legal entity through which the law allows a group of natural persons to act as if they were a single composite individual for certain purposes, or in some jurisdictions, for a single person to have a separate legal personality other than their own.[2][3] This legal fiction does not mean these entities are human beings, but rather means that the law allows them to act as persons for certain limited purposes—most commonly lawsuits, property ownership, and contracts. This concept is separate from and should not be confused with limited liability or the joint stock principle.[4] Also note that basic rights (like the rights to free speech and due process of law) do not necessarily follow from legal personhood. A legal person is sometimes called an artificial person or legal entity (although the latter is sometimes understood to include natural persons as well). Although the concept of a legal person is more central to Western law in both common law and civil law countries, it is also found in virtually every legal system. [5]
    In England and the United States, the use of this terminology does not mean that legal persons are considered human beings. It is simply a "technical legal meaning" in which "a 'person' is any subject of legal rights and duties."[6] Because these entities may have legal rights and duties, they are considered 'legal persons' to distinguish them from natural persons.

Senior Member Business Member
    GLFWDA Member

THIS IS NOT ABOUT "OUR" WAYS! THIS IS NOT AN ASSOCIATION DISCUSSION! THIS IS A DISCUSSION BETWEEN ASSOCIATION (AND NON-ASSOCIATION) MEMBERS BUT DOES NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF THE ASSOCIATION AS A WHOLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Miffy View Post
    GLFWD is a Association.
    meaning:
    Voluntary association, a group of individuals who voluntarily enter into an agreement to accomplish a purpose
    Cliffs notes?

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whoa, all the legalize while discussing Religion. Dare I start another discussion that goes to the words, "In God We Trust"?
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Whoa, all the legalize while discussing Religion. Dare I start another discussion that goes to the words, "In God We Trust"?
    Perhaps some members dont even trust him?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeperz-Creeperz View Post
    THIS IS NOT ABOUT "OUR" WAYS! THIS IS NOT AN ASSOCIATION DISCUSSION! THIS IS A DISCUSSION BETWEEN ASSOCIATION (AND NON-ASSOCIATION) MEMBERS BUT DOES NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF THE ASSOCIATION AS A WHOLE!
    The 'our ways' I was referring to is the way members of this association and forum can usually discuss potentially controversial subjects without getting their knickers in a snit and flaming each other. We all have different views on just about everything yet we get along fine for the most part. We tend to stay focused on the wheeling aspect and don't ban each other because of differing views. These are what I consider 'our ways'.

Senior Member Business Member
    GLFWDA Member

The 'our ways' I was referring to is the way members of this association and forum can usually discuss potentially controversial subjects without getting their knickers in a snit and flaming each other. We all have different views on just about everything yet we get along fine for the most part. We tend to stay focused on the wheeling aspect and don't ban each other because of differing views. These are what I consider 'our ways'.
    Oh, that 'our ways'.....

My intent was not to offend you. My intent was to have my post stand out to reinforce that this was not a discussion about the association's position regarding religious events/activities but rather a personal discussion about it.

p.s. - you're banned

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeperz-Creeperz View Post
    Oh, that 'our ways'.....

My intent was not to offend you. My intent was to have my post stand out to reinforce that this was not a discussion about the association's position regarding religious events/activities but rather a personal discussion about it.

p.s. - you're banned

if i have not been banned then you cant get banned from here!

Blog Entries

No offense taken. Since I agreed with what you were saying, I knew there had to be a misunderstanding or miscommunication somewhere.