Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on ORV route and sled trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I have forwarded this question to all nine Lieutenants of the Michigan DNR Law Enforcement Districts for an answer...

When I get it, if I get it, I will post the response.
    Any chance you want to try running the '2WD Summer -vs- 4WD Winter' road question by them?

After all, the previous ruling came out of Law Division in 1994 as Field Directive 94-06

j-kb8ymf

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

i would personally never drive on any groomed trail. someone could come down that trail at night or in a curve and lose control in your rut. you could injure someone or worse.

anywhere else i have no issue and most snowmobilers with a brain wont either. if it aint groomed then by all means have fun. we are used to that when we ride "off trail" on non groomed route or
    road.

the friends i ride with seldom use the groomed trail much on the north west side of the state
    (grayling) due to overcrowding. we will use the trails on the east side of the state(oscoda) cause they are empty usually.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
    i would personally never drive on any groomed trail. someone could come down that trail at night or in a curve and lose control in your rut. you could injure someone or worse.

anywhere else i have no issue and most snowmobilers with a brain wont either. if it aint groomed then by all means have fun. we are used to that when we ride "off trail" on non groomed route or
    road.

the friends i ride with seldom use the groomed trail much on the north west side of the state
    (grayling) due to overcrowding. we will use the trails on the east side of the state(oscoda) cause they are empty usually.
    I've never really been involved in or seen anyway want to used the groomed trail, but often times you have to use parts to link with other trails...
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Quote Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post

road.

I sled also so this is something that I know a little about. If you are running that fast at night that some bumps or ruts cause you serious issues, then you need to get your but off the trails. The same can be said about a tree coming down, a deer in the road a washout, hell in some areas a moose or elk. What about a broke down sled.

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Kixx007's Avatar

If any snowmobiler has a brain, they won't waste their time and money riding Michigan trails. Sorry, I might use a few miles of trail to get back into our favorite riding areas...

I agree with tire ruts are dangerous. But if you come across an ORV route that a sled trail merges with, its still an ORV route, their should be a mixed traffic sign at that point, letting sledders know they could encounter a truck. Besides the fact that if you look at the number of miles of snowmobile trails, in comparison with the ORV routes, who cares, they have a kabillion more miles of trail they can go hop on. Not to mention the ditches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-S View Post
    If you are running that fast at night that some bumps or ruts cause you serious issues, then you need to get your but off the trails. The same can be said about a tree coming down, a deer in the road a washout, hell in some areas a moose or elk. What about a broke down sled.
    Aren't all of our speed laws based upon safe operating conditions? Hell, OZ can write me a ticket doing 10 under if he still thinks I am going too fast for the conditions.

With that said, I don't agree with tearing up a groomed trail just because I legally can. Once again, back to the "Golden Rule".
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    Aren't all of our speed laws based upon safe operating conditions? Hell, OZ can write me a ticket doing 10 under if he still thinks I am going too fast for the conditions.

With that said, I don't agree with tearing up a groomed trail just because I legally can. Once again, back to the "Golden Rule".
    I have to be able to articulate WHY you were going too fast for conditions though. And for you Jim, I'd probably tow your vehicle too!

The above applies for the road though. Honestly, I'm not sure about the trail, but I believe those rules still apply.

Kixx, say what you want, but Michigan does have some good sledding trails. It's no Jackson Hole, but there is a bunch of very nice trails for sleds.

Also, I've come across ruts in trails many times. Honestly with any of the newer sleds unless your going way too fast the ruts don't really cause that much of an issue. It's more of a nuisance.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post

Not saying tear them up because I can. I am more thinking about some winter wheeling. The sled trail pops onto the ORV route then off then back on then off.

Just trying to see what the laws are. I have a message into the DNR but they said ti could be 20 days before I see a response.

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
    Any chance you want to try running the '2WD Summer -vs- 4WD Winter' road question by them?

After all, the previous ruling came out of Law Division in 1994 as Field Directive 94-06

j-kb8ymf
    We currently still have 45 days left in the comment period to try and address this definition through 811.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-S View Post
    Not saying tear them up because I can. I am more thinking about some winter wheeling. .
    Agreed. Just saying if there's an alternate, courtesy comes into play.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.