Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on ORV route and sled trail.

Default Question on ORV route and sled trail.

Let's say there is an ORV route. Is that route open year round even if the sled trail runs on it in parts?

I think that any that would be closed to 4x4s would be posted. To be safe, I'd check with the DNR (and get the name of the DNR rep you talk to).
    K1QD--
    '77 CJ7, 360 AMC w/ DUI, headers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150, TF999, D300, D30 & AMC20, 4.56 gears, lockers, winch, fiberglass body. York Air Comp, 6" total lift, 35" BFG MTs, Garvin bumpers/racks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-S View Post
    Let's say there is an ORV route. Is that route open year round even if the sled trail runs on it in parts?
    Good question Tim,
    To bad we've yet to get a straight answer from the DNR on it. I have a theory on why.
    I don't believe there is anything prohibiting the use of a ROUTE in winter when it's posted as a snowmobile trail. When we we used to run some forest roads for some organized trail rides in the winter, the DNR would ask us to please not use the posted snowmobile trail as the machines had a much faster speed on that road and they were concerned about safety. I think the logical question would be, can you be safe on a road with closing speeds of over 50 mph? i.e is it straight or does it have blind curves and corners?
    That being said....is the ORV Route on a county road or forest road?

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not looking to pick a fight, OR sound like an ass, but as lame as our ORV Route system is, if it is a marked route then it should be 100% accessible to us 100% of the time even in the snow. We have to share the routes with MX and ATV users in the summer time, and that creates safety concerns on both sides. It shouldn't be any different in the snow months, the sleds as well as the 4x4/ATV/MX should exercise caution on those portions of the trails where there is overlap. There is no provision that I can find in the ORV statute that says we have to stay off in the snow months.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Quote Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
    the DNR would ask us to please not use the posted snowmobile trail as the machines had a much faster speed on that road and they were concerned about safety.
    This combined with Paul's reply indicates an open trail.

Quote Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
    Not looking to pick a fight, OR sound like an ass, but as lame as our ORV Route system is, if it is a marked route then it should be 100% accessible to us 100% of the time even in the snow. We have to share the routes with MX and ATV users in the summer time, and that creates safety concerns on both sides. It shouldn't be any different in the snow months, the sleds as well as the 4x4/ATV/MX should exercise caution on those portions of the trails where there is overlap. There is no provision that I can find in the ORV statute that says we have to stay off in the snow months.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    This combined with Paul's reply indicates an open trail.
    Yeah, BUT,.....go post that on a snowmobile forum and come back and tell me how HOT it got!
    We've had MANY incidences with snowmobilers who honestly believe every road belongs to them when snow in on them. Granted they 'could be the exception', but all it takes is one 'exceptin; to make headline news....
    'SUV collides with snowmobile-child killed'. Granted the snowmobile may be deemed as 'at fault' but the sympathy will reside with the child and family that was killed.
    I don't have the answer, neither does the DNR. Biggest problem is the snowmobiles travel at unreasonable high speeds on roads that they weren't designed for.
    If speeds were beought to a reasonable level I don't believe we'd have the problem we have.
    jim-kb8ymf

I asked this question of Paige Perry ( DNR ORV tech) while doing our trail maint. in Atlanta a couple years back. She looked at me as if I were asking if the moon was made of cheese.

her reply was "Of course you can be on it, it's a route"

We have several miles of such route in the area where Paige is an ORV tech, some of it GLFWDA maintains.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

around West Branch that is a very good Question because you can be on a trail that is not for the Snowmachines and come up to one with out knowing it is there, and if you have a group behind you in the snow it can be a issue to turn around.

for Safty I can see everyone trying to stay off from any groomed Trail and not dig it up after the work and money the Snowmachine groups put into them. depending on the area your wanting to wheel in it maybe a good Idea to contact the snowmaching groups and work with them prior to going out. It would show good faith and build trust between the groups.

Miffy has a good point.

I used to be a snowmobiler. And any time we ever came to an area that was dug up by tire tracks everyone was a little pissed. It's not like we owned the trails, but similar to how everyone complains about the mud truck ruts at the Mounds...

Obviously coordination with the groomers couldn't always be done, but if you know your going with a group, then maybe a quick call to say they may want to hit a certain area would be good.

With that being said, I've been out in the winter with a couple buddies and when aired down and only 2 or 3 rigs generally it doens't hurt the packed groomed trails.
    Oz
    KD8NFX

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-S View Post
    I have forwarded this question to all nine Lieutenants of the Michigan DNR Law Enforcement Districts for an answer...

When I get it, if I get it, I will post the response.
    Last edited by Jarhead; November 10th, 2008 at 02:10 PM.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html