Thread: Wester UP trails

Guest_Frank_*

Going to be traveling in the Wakefield/Ironwood in the second week in Oct. Was in the Iron Mountain area last fall and all trails were open unless marked closed or restricted. Is this the same for the western UP? Also if anyone has some favorite trails and in particular those that have waterfalls nearby please let me know.
    The vehicle is a 98 Land Rover Discover, 3? lift, 32? Kumho MT?s, diff guards, and winch. So it can get to and out of most places. However, we are not looking for the ?off road? aspect as much as some ?let?s see where that trail goes? exploration.

Thanks
    Frank

PS We are ending the trip by joining up with the Chicago Land Rover Club to run the Pipeline October 15 & 16 at Nicolet Forest, WI

free market capitalist timbercruiser's Avatar

Yes, the western UP is open. Throw a dart at the map and there is a trail of the sort you're looking for. Many are on state or corporate land, so they will go for a ways.

I have read that the pipeline trail is sometimes closed (?), so your rover group should check before they go.

DN
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!

Chainsaws don't kill trees, I DO!!

MuddyPaws

There are 11 sets of falls within a half hour or so of Ironwood. All very nice. The wife and I went to most of them on a 2 week camping the u.p. trip we took several years ago.

Most of the falls are located off 513 north of u.s. 2. Manakiki falls is very nice and you have to take a few 2 tracks to get to it. Nice ride. Get a Delorm Atlas and Gazetteer...best damn map book out there. It has all the falls and special unique features, and tons and tons of 2 tracks listed along with public land highlighted.

I wish they made these exact maps in a laptop gps version.

RoverDisco98

Sorry not to have responded earlier, things got kind of busy to the point that the trip may have to be cancled. Anyhow THANK YOU for the very usefull info.

Frank

PS Good point re the Delorm Atlas and Gazetteer. Had one with us last time up and ended up using it as a guide and the GPS/PC just to keep from getting lost.