Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Full Size Cherokee stuff

>> I siliconed the holes in the top of the tank

I thought silicone broke down in gas. Some sloshing could cause it to break down and plug up the sock in the tank. Might try the JB weld stuff instead. (Sounds like u just have to let out the straps.)

>> Some nice ratchet straps are holding the tank up now until I can get some picks of what the original straps look like and make some.

I know my 75 has a different setup. This should be an easy one for IFSJA.

>> I still can't figure out the brakes.

What's up with them?

>> I have a reciever tube I'm welding to the bumper/frame.

Check the rear x-member for rot. They aren't the thickest. (which is why I suggested a hitch that would incorporate the side rails and not just the rear x)

There is a hitch there already, but they torched some of it for a dual exaust. I plan on running some tie ins along the frame, then use the existing hitch/bumper as a tie in as well. It will probably outlast everything else!

Yeah, all I had at the time was some silicon, so thats what got put on it. I wanted some epoxy or the like. I bought a new sending unit, so I'll probably just put the right stuff on there when I put that in.

Brakes are much better now. I had to "power bleed" them, use the whole can filled with brake fluid and a tube in it thing. From what I gathered online, sometimes air gets trapped in the proportioning valve and its very difficult to get it out. But using this technique instead of the cracking and letting gravity work seemed to really expell a ton of air in the lines. My pedal used to travel 3" before anything and the rears didn't even move! But now I get bite immediately....still not locking them up, but its on 33's and some rubber dryrotted lines. I'm replacing those next....I need to stop this vehicle and my TJ remember!!

I drove it 20 miles today and it didn't overheat, but I NEED new tires. I even went out and bought enough lug nuts for more that 3 per wheel!! Exaust is next cuz I'm getting dizzy!!

Lucas
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

If you want a little longer brake line, then go with the stock full-size blazer lines in front. they are about 4" longer and same fittings. I can't remember the trick for the rear, probably somewhere on IFSJA.

I haven't had a bunch of time to search and stuff, dialup isn't the best for researching!!

But the parts guys had a listing for a longer brake line, I'll probably get that one. Said 2 days, so I'm going tonight to order them for this weekend.

Thanks,

Lucas

My pics

Redid most of the brakes. Tonight I towed my Jeep around the block to see how it pulled. Goes fine, but doesn't stop all that nice!!!

I might try to bleed the brakes again just in case.

Now to get the turn signals working.....I bought some magnetic turnsignal lights....

Radiator got a leak in it. Luckily Keith had a spare, so I swapped that in tonight, runs cooler now too. I bought a spare J-truck, has a new radiator, so thats coming with me in the back seat!

Keith let me borrow a set of his 32's, so it rides nice now! I replaced the rubber spring bushings and it steers much better now too. Gas gage works now with the new sending unit.

Keep driving it every day making sure it will be OK to drive up!

Lucas

My pics

From my experience, it might be good to head out on a 2 or 3 hour trip with it at highway speeds when you aren't relying on it. Maybe find a friend to go visit and make a trip out of it.

On my first big trip after I re-did the Wagoneer I spent a while (month or two) driving it to work a few times a week, and I found a few gremilins. The fun really started once I took it up to highway speeds for a few hours on the way to Kentucky, I started to find stuff that wouldn't show up in the daily commute.

Originally posted by lgottler@Aug 23 2005, 08:28 PM

Keep driving it every day making sure it will be OK to drive up!

Lucas
    <div align="right">[snapback]5627[/snapback]

[/quote]

We&#39;ll keep an eye out for you on the side of the highway.............
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

The plan is, if it does die on the way. Leave it somewhere, and come back for it later....I&#39;ll just drive the TJ up.

Now, I hope the border people don&#39;t hassle me on my windshield being broken&#33;&#33;&#33; It costs too much to fix&#33;

Lucas

My pics