Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LOGGING

Default LOGGING

I was out ridding in a place that i have been going for years out on M-33 just out side of Afton Michigan. They have taken a skidder threw the trail and have clear cutted everything. That is a designated snowmobile trail is their anything we can do to stop it.

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Greenway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not in this case, The trees are already down.

With enough pressure, the DNR and Forest Service can require logging companies to maintain buffer strips along forest roads and trails when they harvest trees on state or federal property. The problem is putting enough pressure on the DNR and Forest Service.

The Land Use Committee on GLFWDA is trying to monitor and effect actions by these agencies that affect our enjoyment of the forest. This takes a lot of citizen involvement to attend meetings, read govermental documents, discuss proposed actions and their ramifications, and propose alternative courses of action.

Our main objective is to keep the forest roads and trails open and hopefully to get more for full size users (Jeeps and Trucks etc).

This is followed closely by keeping the forests desirable for our sport. We're looking for rustic roads that offer a challenge to driving and offer scenic views that make us want to be there in the first place. Paved or gravel flat roads through clearcut stands are not a desired future condition.

Read all the posts in the Land Use sections. If this is something you feel you would like to become more involved in, PM trail_fanatic for more information on how you can help. We do need people who will actively pursue these solutions.

free market capitalist timbercruiser's Avatar

If it's a designated snowmobile trail, they wiil have to clear the trail and leave it smooth. Actually, they have to do that for any road/trail.

As for stoppoing the cutting or putting up buffers, it really doesn't affect our trail usage. In fact, if done correctly, it could enhance our trails! Especially the skidder part.
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!

Chainsaws don't kill trees, I DO!!

Quote Originally Posted by timbercruiser View Post
    If it's a designated snowmobile trail, they wiil have to clear the trail and leave it smooth. Actually, they have to do that for any road/trail.

As for stoppoing the cutting or putting up buffers, it really doesn't affect our trail usage. In fact, if done correctly, it could enhance our trails! Especially the skidder part.
    We had went out their on Sunday, and like you said, the skidder enhanced the trails difficulty, but i cant believe that they are cutting down the forest like that.

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Greenway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timbercruiser View Post
    As for stoppoing the cutting or putting up buffers, it really doesn't affect our trail usage.
    The buffers I'm talking about are strips of forest 50 to 100 yards wide on either side of the road that doesn't get logged. That way when you're driving down the road, it's still a forested road. If you look through the trees you'll see the logged portion 50 to 100 yards off the road. This maintains the scenic value of the road as well as providing a conduit for forest critters that like some cover.

Quote Originally Posted by TODDsXj View Post
    I was out ridding in a place that i have been going for years out on M-33 just out side of Afton Michigan. They have taken a skidder threw the trail and have clear cutted everything. That is a designated snowmobile trail is their anything we can do to stop it.
    Is that the Koehler road area where you went T-Way/Timbercruiser???
    I love that trail. Introduced a few people to Jeep'n with that trail.

Quote Originally Posted by TODDsXj View Post
    We had went out their on Sunday, and like you said, the skidder enhanced the trails difficulty, but i cant believe that they are cutting down the forest like that.
    It's all Aspen. In 2-3 years, it'll be extremely thick-great cover for deer and grouse.
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petoskey Mudder View Post
    Is that the Koehler road area where you went T-Way/Timbercruiser???
    I love that trail. Introduced a few people to Jeep'n with that trail.
    I saw the paint on the trees last spring and knew it would be cut. My fear is that they will "fix" the trail and make it good enough for a Buick.
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!

Well what gets me is , at those to first water holes, that is spring fed, the ground is not pressed dirt, all the dirt is going to get pushed right back out of those holes. Unless they find the spring and run a metal pipe threw for it to go under the road, but lets hope they leave it like they usually do, so we can turn it back into the trail we once knew it as.

I'm sure it'll get back to being fun after a while.
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!