Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Mounds Rock Crawl construction commences

  1. #1

    Default Mounds Rock Crawl construction commences

    Mounds Rock Crawl construction commences
    Mounds Rock Crawl construction commences as soon as it dries out a bit. The contractor was there on Friday but it rained so much this weekend he may have to wait a bit before getting the big equipment out there.
    But IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!

    One additional clarification:
    The Mound will continue there regulary scheduled hours. NO CLOSING ON SUNDAYS as was reported on 'some other unidentified' forums.

    If anyone gets out there and see's the construction actually starting, please post it up.

    jim-kb8ymf

  2. #2

    Default

    That's great news!

    Thanks for staying on top of it Jim!

  3. #3
    welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hazel Park, MI
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    great job jim!

  4. #4
    Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Burton, MI
    Posts
    2,447
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    We will have to take a swing through there Sunday after the quarterly and see if we can find any signs of activity.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

  5. #5
    free market capitalist timbercruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    below da bridge
    Posts
    656

    Default

    YAHOO!!!!!
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!


    Chainsaws don't kill trees, I DO!!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
    We will have to take a swing through there Sunday after the quarterly and see if we can find any signs of activity.
    Word this morning is; the dozer is being brought on site and construction will be complete by October 1st!
    I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
    jim-kb8ymf

  7. #7
    Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Burton, MI
    Posts
    2,447
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
    Word this morning is; the dozer is being brought on site and construction will be complete by October 1st!
    I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
    jim-kb8ymf
    We need to make an effort to have an organized get-together when they open
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
    We need to make an effort to have an organized get-together when they open
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
    Word this morning is; the dozer is being brought on site and construction will be complete by October 1st!
    I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
    jim-kb8ymf
    Great news! lol, pun intended.

    Jim, on the GL4X4 board you estimated it could be 3 years for completion of everything. Is that for the courses outlined in the 99 page bid request ("Stock", "Modified Stock" and "Pro-Modified") or are there plans for additional courses?

    Also the specís defining all the different sizes of rocks include this text: "....to consist of natural stone of varying types....". Is there any provision to deter the use of soft or easily fractured rock types? I have no idea of stone prices, but if soft, weak rocks are generally cheaper, they will be more attractive to the contractor building the courses.

    Thanks for the updates and all your work to make this happen!
    Jim

    88 GMC Jimmy, D60 LS, 14FF Detroit, 700R4, 241, 42 TSL

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brods View Post
    Great news! lol, pun intended.

    Jim, on the GL4X4 board you estimated it could be 3 years for completion of everything. Is that for the courses outlined in the 99 page bid request ("Stock", "Modified Stock" and "Pro-Modified") or are there plans for additional courses?

    Also the specís defining all the different sizes of rocks include this text: "....to consist of natural stone of varying types....". Is there any provision to deter the use of soft or easily fractured rock types? I have no idea of stone prices, but if soft, weak rocks are generally cheaper, they will be more attractive to the contractor building the courses.

    Thanks for the updates and all your work to make this happen!
    Initial conversation (months ago) with the GCP&R indicated the project would be broken down and completed in three phases due to cost. So hence the 3 year comment from me. What I'm hearing now is that 'IT', what ever IT is, will be completed by October 1st. Is that the first phase? I think yes, but we'll have to wait and see. I don't believe the entire course can be built in 2 months. There were 9 course in the plan. As far as rocks go, their literally free, it's the transportation cost that are the $$$$. I'm not to worried about sub standard materials but will reserve comment until something starts to appear on site.
    The RFP contained numerous styles of construction techniques. It's up to the contractor and GCP&R and the DNR to determine if the techniques are acceptable.That's where I start to have some heartburn. GCP&R have indicated to me that 'our' input was duly noted and further involvement from us is unnecessary. Just what happens when the course is completed remains a mystery. What will it look like? Will it meet our expectation? Will any shortcuts that might have been taken to reduce costs, be detrimental to the course and the longevity of the project.
    Bottom line, those building the Rock Crawl don't know a thing about rock Crawls, and refuse to allow us to look over their shoulder. No one in the state of Michigan has ever built a rock course. Will it be a POS when it's done? As I said previously, I'll reserve my opinion until I see some results.
    jim-kb8ymf

Similar Threads

  1. Mounds ORV Rock Crawl Project
    By Jarhead in forum SCHEDULED Events/Trail Rides
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 7th, 2010, 05:44 AM
  2. Mounds Rock Course Construction
    By Jeeperz-Creeperz in forum Land Use
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
  3. Mounds Rock Crawl
    By kb8ymf in forum Land Use
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: February 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
  4. Short notice rock crawl!!!!!!!!!!!
    By Creative Fab in forum Events, News and Announcements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 12th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
respective-triangle
respective-triangle
respective-triangle
respective-triangle