Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to sell a lemon?

Default Best way to sell a lemon?

Say your trying to sell a car that has a ton of problems, but you promised the guy buying it, it ran fine. Does sawdust really help quiet engine rattle? Rim leaks, does the green goo work? Blood stains, what gets 'em out? Bad brakes, will a little shot of WD40 help the sqeeks? Slipping trans, what works temporarily?

Just asking...

Lucas
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

trying to sell the tj i see!

Wink

1. don't lie
    2. trade it in

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/index.sd

Anything old I have that uses gear oil gets "Hub Oil' and doesn't leak. The stuff they make works good if it's not a totally wiped out mechanical failure.

Many, many years ago I worked at a dealerships used car dept. Scary what we'd do to move cars. If the brakes squeal, bend the squealer back and face the pads & rotors with a DA sander. Use a flapper wheel on a die grinder or drill to do the same to drums. 80-90 gear oil to bring the oil pressure up & rattles down. Power wash the whole engine compartment & hit it heavy with clear coat to seal up the small leaks. Gut the PCV & put super hot plugs in to hide excessive blow by. Use a razor to shave fuzz from an inconspicuous part of the interior and super glue it to the burn holes. Pull the sill plates and stuff air fresheners under the carpet.

I could go on forever...........................................

Long Forgotten GLFWDA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade II View Post
    http://www.lucasoil.com/products/index.sd

Anything old I have that uses gear oil gets "Hub Oil' and doesn't leak. The stuff they make works good if it's not a totally wiped out mechanical failure.

Many, many years ago I worked at a dealerships used car dept. Scary what we'd do to move cars. If the brakes squeal, bend the squealer back and face the pads & rotors with a DA sander. Use a flapper wheel on a die grinder or drill to do the same to drums. 80-90 gear oil to bring the oil pressure up & rattles down. Power wash the whole engine compartment & hit it heavy with clear coat to seal up the small leaks. Gut the PCV & put super hot plugs in to hide excessive blow by. Use a razor to shave fuzz from an inconspicuous part of the interior and super glue it to the burn holes. Pull the sill plates and stuff air fresheners under the carpet.

I could go on forever...........................................

When I worked at Terhune in Marine City, I often witnessed the "body" department "rebuilding" rusted out rocker panels by covering them with black duct tape.

They also did the brake squeeler trick, and holes in exhaust got wrapped in tin foil and more duct tape.
    Recovered jeep addict on the straight and narrow with Toyotas

Quote Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
    Say your trying to sell a car that has a ton of problems, but you promised the guy buying it, it ran fine. Does sawdust really help quiet engine rattle? Rim leaks, does the green goo work? Blood stains, what gets 'em out? Bad brakes, will a little shot of WD40 help the sqeeks? Slipping trans, what works temporarily?

Just asking...

Lucas

Sawdust is to make a slipping trans stop slipping for a couple of miles.

Gear oil is for engines that knock.

Blood stains are tough. I've had at least two cars that the previous owner was killed in. My Samurai had most of the blood stains in the seat covers, so those just got ditched. The dash just needed to be scrubbed.

As for my old Malibu that the cops shot the driver through the windshield and roof, there was too much blood on the carpet to save it, so I just pulled it out and tossed it. Fortunately the seats were vinol, so only the stitching was stained. Then I replaced the windshield and filled the bullet holes in the roof with Bondo.
    Recovered jeep addict on the straight and narrow with Toyotas

Its all good now, I just sold the vehicle, I hope he makes it far enough not to be able to walk back to my house....

And he didn't even see this post I bet....all this for nothing....
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member T-way's Avatar

If I was trying to sell a lemon, I'd just sell it to Keith!!! Seems he'll buy anything!!!

(Just kidding ya Keith.....you know I love ya even if I haven't seen you in a long time!! And you do buy some pretty cool stuff!!)
    President - Troll Four Wheelers
    Vice President - ATVOffroad.net
    I'm Still Out There - I Haven't Gone Away!!

So Roadhouse got his new Burban eh?
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!