Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ORV Sticker Required?

Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Fanatic View Post
    I hear of people having trouble from time to time too.
    Unfortunately they never seem to get the information needed to really do much about it.

We should investigate this and make sure it gets cleared up so users, LED, and MCL are all in sync.
    This is the EXACT problem I have had for years when people tell me of a problem they've had. No one has ever had the ambition to follow up and hence we continue to see our users hassled in the woods.
    cheesejeeper, don't worry to much about names and badges if you don't have them, you'll need the exact location, date, and time, how many were you there and any other identifying things about the incident. For instance, was the officer in a truck, or bike? Just one officer, young/old, male/female, in short anything that can be used to identify them so it doesn't appear as though you're (we) are trying whine about an incident that might never have happened.
    Thanks for guiding him along Pat.
    jim-kb8ymf

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc View Post
    CO is mistaken. You need one for St. Helens motorsports, silver lake, and the mounds.

SOS plate and insurance = good to go on all other legal two tracks.
    Bull Gap also requires the ORV sticker, at least the last time I was there.

Also, if you are on an ORV "trail" you need one. As you know, there was a discussion about a full size being able to travel a trail if they fit. And with this included in the handbook, I would assume we can drive on trails according to the DNR.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Bull Gap also requires the ORV sticker, at least the last time I was there.

Also, if you are on an ORV "trail" you need one. As you know, there was a discussion about a full size being able to travel a trail if they fit. And with this included in the handbook, I would assume we can drive on trails according to the DNR.
    x2... Forgot about BG.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Fanatic View Post
    Spot on Jim.

Terry,
    Can you get the information together?

I'd be more than willing to bring it up at the AB meeting.

Before that, a call to Steve K. asking him (as the ORV representative of FMFM) to clarify the issue with LED might also give us an idea how deep this real or perceived 'shift' in policy runs within the Department.

Maybe a conversation with the LED local to the area might be informative too.

It doesn't look like I'm going to get any information that will help us. They are now telling me that they think it was the local Sheriff instead of a CO.

Cheesejeeper

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for trying!
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

as I understand it you need an ORV permit if you use state trails. (any and all trails) I prefer to err on the side of caution. I have the yearly state park pass, ORV sticker and a license plate. The cost of the ORV sticker is so small it isnt worth the hassle

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

Quote Originally Posted by MegaCab Mike View Post
    as I understand it you need an ORV permit if you use state trails. (any and all trails)
    Yes, the the only things called "trails" by the state are for vehicles up to 50 inches wide. Route are for vehicles any size and are roads that and SOS licensed vehicle can travel down.

So based on the laws as I know them, anything outside of a designated ORV scramble area that is legal to drive a vehicle wider than 50 inches wide down only requires that the vehicle be licensed by the SOS.
    Bruce
    Individual member #6774

Quote Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
    Yes, the the only things called "trails" by the state are for vehicles up to 50 inches wide. Route are for vehicles any size and are roads that and SOS licensed vehicle can travel down.

So based on the laws as I know them, anything outside of a designated ORV scramble area that is legal to drive a vehicle wider than 50 inches wide down only requires that the vehicle be licensed by the SOS.
    I've discussed this many times Bruce, you have to look at the historical aspect of ORV Route and ORV Trail markers. At the inception of the ORV law in 1976, Full size vehicle were ALWAYS allowed on forest roads due to SOS plate. It was the quads and M/C that needed permission to be on forest roads. Therefore the DNR marked many forest roads with ORV Trail markers. Does this mean we (full size vehicles) can't be there? Of course not. As I've alluded to before, if you legitimately fit, you can be there legally.
    jim-kb8ymf

Quote Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post

I do understand where you are coming from but like I said the cost of the sticker is worth not getting hassled. I look at it as a contribution to the trails

Quote Originally Posted by MegaCab Mike View Post
    I do understand where you are coming from but like I said the cost of the sticker is worth not getting hassled. I look at it as a contribution to the trails
    While I 100% agree that the cost of the sticker is not a big deal, it is a big deal that more and more people think that they need an ORV sticker to ride where their SOS license plate already takes them. This along with some CO's having the same attitude is setting a precident that our state residents need stickers when they do not.

Again, I agree that it's not the cost of the sticker. It's setting the precident that I need governmental control where I don't.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.