Thread: To the current board of glfwda

Default To the current board of glfwda

Due to a past pres informing me i had never done any thing for this orgainization i have decided to take a moment to make a list of suggestions that may be helpful with your goals of membership . Even though i am not a current member i would like to see this organization improve and expand .

These are opinions based on experience as a member for a number of years and as an out sider looking in as well , take them for what they are worth to you .

I was still a member of this organization when members gained the right to vote . I thought it was an excellent move how ever it fell short of its goal . The reason for this is the method in which voting takes place . Far to few members can attend the quarterly to cast there vote . I know this has been talked about before , Voting needs to move into the high tech world . Vote on line so members can truly have a say . This is an issue that can be hammered out with due effort .

A large perception problem has long exsisted with in this org . This takes place largely at events and it is one easily dealt with . Upon arrival at an event members and more importantly none members attending need a welcome mat . They need to see a smiling face , a hand shake and to hear a welcome from glfwda board members or the persons putting on the event . I my self have never seen this take place on a large scale and i have attended many glfwda events over the years . The perception has been that of a high school click , this is not exceptible to most people and will not serve the organization . It may be worth making a postion just for this purpose , some one not well known , holds no grudges and can attend the majority of events glfwda associated or otherwise . The " yogis pig gig " was a prime example of missed opportunities by glfwda . Last year you had a good representative for the first time , unfortunately his intent crashed < pun intended John .

The goal of a state wide orgainization is to attract and envolve as many enthusiast as possible . When the org or its members openly put down a given group you fail your self . Be it a web site , a club or an individual you are loosing potential members and creating the wrong appreance to the potential members . While the org can not control its members it is the responsiblity of the board to have a word with that person about there potential negative impact to the organization . If that person has the best interest of glfwda in mind im sure they would see the light .

Perhaps my last comment could potentially be of the most importance . While i have never been envolved with the politics of glfwda i have been deeply envolved with the Michigan towing association . From there i did learn what it takes to change the law .

If glfwda can get a solid connection with the other motorized and even none motorized sports groups ( i know you are working on this ) from there perhaps the required funds could be raised to get into Lansing . A lobyist can get more done in a year then thousands of individuals can in ten years . We acomplished many law changes with in Michigan via the towing association through a loybist . I can appreciate the time spent talking with the DNR , bottom line is there boss makes the rules not them . They have no interest in or ablity to change the laws which would open up wheeling in this state .

I hope my comments are taking in the best of light . I will not bother to debate what i have had to say as it is suggestions for the current board to conceder and nothing more .

If you have a comment or a question i can be contacted on Michiganwheelers or pm me on glfwda how ever i do not read glfwda daily .

Marv Farley aka Grandman

Quote Originally Posted by grandman View Post
    Even though i am not a current member i would like to see this organization improve and expand .
    i·ro·ny (r-n, r-)
    n. pl. i·ro·nies 1. a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
    b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
    c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.

2. a. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated" Richard Kain.
    b. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

3. Dramatic irony.
    4. Socratic irony.

hy·poc·ri·sy (h-pkr-s) n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies 1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
    2. An act or instance of such falseness.

Noun1.hypocrisy - an expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction

I'm not picking on you personally marv but I just find that statement pretty funny...

Quote Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
    i·ro·ny (r-n, r-)
    n. pl. i·ro·nies 1. a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
    b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
    c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.

2. a. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated" Richard Kain.
    b. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

3. Dramatic irony.
    4. Socratic irony.

hy·poc·ri·sy (h-pkr-s) n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies 1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
    2. An act or instance of such falseness.

Noun1.hypocrisy - an expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction

I'm not picking on you personally marv but I just find that statement pretty funny...
    Nice........

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Marv,

Thank You, I couldn't agree more with many of your comments. Whether a Member or not is not always my first concern. I believe if this Association can assimulate the passion of the full-size four wheeler we will continue to draw from those like-minded and we will continue to grow.

It appears that we have many with so much history from the past that we cannot let dead dogs lie and move on with one collective effort.

The growth of this Association will bring great diversity (just like the many different rigs we drive) and we must be able to harness this diversity in order for us to be successful.

I appreciate your input.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

marv thx for the input. i appreicate it!

A ) we have talked about the right to vote online topic many times. im not sure how i stand on this yet. it would be good to get more input from members. it would also be good to get input in person at a quarterly.
    would the quartrely suffer an attendance loss from this? since most topic discussion takes place at the quartely, information is the key.
    are the members not at the quarterly fully informed enough on the given topic to vote? these are tough questions! we have talked about it before, and will talk about it more in the future. this is a topic of real passion for many members on both sides of the fence.

B ) you absolutly right on the handshake goes a long way! mark and i did all the cooking at the ostc event last year. this was my first event as v.p.
    we tried to give a very warm welcome to all the members. i think it went really well. we cooked and handed out about 400 hotdogs and chips to the members and non members alike. we got great response from the people in attendance(perhaps cause we had the food).
    some groups are clicky like high school. i can see where that can be an issue. groups of friends will hang out together at events. we cant stop them. this is a tough thing to police! tell them to come hang out with me, im not welcome in the click either! other than that i dont know how to stop this behavior? the bod is always open to suggestions on this matter.

C ) again your absolutey right again. no group should be put down. there is room in our association for every group. no one group is more welcome that any other, no matter who tells you otherwise. its so hard to get some people to burry the hatchet. some things are out of our control. we can tell them to play nice, but in the end its up to each of us to police ourselves for the most part. sure we could go and delete a post or two. in a week it would happen again. we try to not delet posts, although i have wanted to on many ocasions. we are working on this but its an uphill battle, and will never be totally gone without complete censorship.

D ) i am/was working on what i called a vice presidents summit. i wanted to get the vice presidents (any ranking member would do) of all the major outdoor sports together for a day to meet each other. talk about where we can work together. i have the msa on board and the ama on board and glfwda of course. no atv group i contacted ever responded. i also contacted michigan mountain bike association, no response from them. i contacted a fairly large equestrian group also(i forget the name), no response from them either. the big surprise was i was told msa would never do this. the guy i talked to at the time was the v.p. thought it was a great idea and he is now the president. my biggest problem was contact info. who should be invited? how do i contact them? what associations are the best reps for their sport? it was harder than i though it would be. the good thing is all the responses i got we pretty positive. the bad thing is i was not responded to by some associations. i guess ya gotta take the good with the bad. its a work in progress, hopefully it wont die on the vine.

E ) a lobbyist would be an amazing tool. we would love to have one!
    if we could get more groups together to fund one it would be great. we have a couple members that have advised us a little in this arena, but it seems very costly. im sure many battles cant be won without a lobbyist.
    its something we need to look into further, and learn more about.

belive me you comments were takin in the best light by the bod!

member or not your comments are always welcome in a post or through email or pm.

P.S. i had alot of fun at the pig gig, thx for having me!

see ya around,
    joe V.P.