Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: St. Helen Motorsport Area

West Side Trail Junkie GLFWDA Member Rubiclone's Avatar

Default St. Helen Motorsport Area

Wondering if anyone can give me some info on the off road area. I have never been there and am wondering if its worth getting the Jeep out there for a weekend sometime soon. I have heard and read that it is a great place for quads and bikes but I cant find much on 4x4 trails, rocks, mud, etc.

Seeing as though I was directly involved in the St. Helen Motorsport area improvement advisory board I will do my best to answer your questions.

First this is the size of the park itself, at 2 square miles it is the largest scramble area in the state. And being a scramble area you are allowed to travel cross country, as long as no live trees are harmed in the process.

If you travel to the southwest corner you will find a sand bowl with several small hill climbs some of which will challenge a dual locked vehicle when the sand is loose. There are several other smaller sandy bowls as well as two tracks and open areas that were recently logged. These logged areas can be fun to use your right to travel cross country and wind your way through the deadfall and to some little hills.

Future plans do include a rock course as there are none there now. It probably isnt a days worth of wheeleing but it beats sitting in front of the TV on a saturday.

There are other two tracks and routes in the area so the rest of your day will not go unfulfilled. Just make sure a 2 wheel drive car can traverse these other trails (uless marked as a route) to keep it legal.

Hope this helps!
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Isn't the sand bowl on the east side??????
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    Isn't the sand bowl on the east side??????
    It seems that way when your there, but the Motorsport area itself runs east and west for the 2 mile stretch and north and south for the width.

When you look at a map it makes sense, but when your there you swear it is the other way around. The sand bowl is on an east west road and is down at the west end of the park. So it makes it in the southwest corner.

Disregard this post, I was the one swearing it was the other way around.
    Last edited by Creative Fab; March 28th, 2008 at 11:21 AM.
    Past Corresp. Sec.

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member DDS4X4's Avatar

To add to Pat K original suggestions, it should go without saying ... but I'll add it anyways ... don't go wheeling alone. SO post up your plans here and usually you will get some others, ready willing and able to participate and probably available to show you around the area!!
    Doug - KD8EDH
    UFWDA http://www.ufwda.org/
    GLFWDA http://www.glfwda.org/
    IFWDA http://www.ifwda.org/

2000 WJ Grand Laredo V8 QD UC, trail rated & Doug tested
    Kevins Sliders, 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Cobra 76XTR,
    ARBw/Warn 9.5XP, EMU lift, JKS Discos, Icom V-8000, Garmin GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    It seems that way when your there, but the Motorsport area itself runs east and west for the 2 mile stretch and north and south for the width.

When you look at a map it makes sense, but when your there you swear it is the other way around. The sand bowl is on an east west road and is down at the west end of the park. So it makes it in the southwest corner.
    Oh, kind sir, I beg to differ. I just checked my gps tracks and it's in the SE corner for sure. But, I don't have pdf configured on this computer right now so, I will have to do it from my other computer.

Big drama here this morning.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    Oh, kind sir, I beg to differ. I just checked my gps tracks and it's in the SE corner for sure. But, I don't have pdf configured on this computer right now so, I will have to do it from my other computer.

Big drama here this morning.
    If Pat says it's in the Southwest corner, that's where it's at!
    And how would you know anyhow...you don't even have a running Jeep!
    j-kb8ymf

Quote Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
    If Pat says it's in the Southwest corner, that's where it's at!
    And how would you know anyhow...you don't even have a running Jeep!
    j-kb8ymf
    yea darnit

The parking lot should be the southest corner, but no matter where it's at you should go there and climb some hills. But like Doug said, dont go alone!

But after checking my map again Whiterhino is on to something, I refuse to say what it is though
    Last edited by Creative Fab; March 28th, 2008 at 10:21 AM.
    Past Corresp. Sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    yea darnit

But after checking my map again Whiterhino is on to something, I refuse to say what it is though
    In my best Schultz voice. 'I know nothing..."
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

Mr. Kitson is correct.

The bowl area is in fact, in the Southeastern corner
    of the motor sports area. The road that travels adjacent is Meridian Rd. which runs north/south. It is also the coutny line between Roscommon and Ogemaw coutnies. Carter Lake rd. is just south of the bowl. The intersection of these 2 roads makes up the Southeast corner of the Motorsports area.

Meridian Rd. makes up the Eastern boundry.
    E. Carter Lake Rd. makes up the Southern boundry.
    Ingleson Rd. is the Western boundry. This road turns east half way through the motorsports area, but the 2-track that heads south from the turn is still the boundry. Although it is not a straight line so the actual boundry make get a little fuzzy in that area. I do believe it is fairly well marked though.
    The Northern boundry is just north of the parking lot and fairly well marked.

Some of what I just posted was to suppoer Mr. Kitson. Some was for information for the OP. And some was just because I like to type and jsut can't get enough. I also can not make short posts about anything.

Oh, and Mr. Kinney, the parking lot is the extreme Northeast corner of the park

And another thing. The park runs North/South for 2 miles and approx 1 mile East/West.

You can easily see this when you look at the DNR map

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/spatialda...rv/sthelen.pdf

and then reference Mapquest using the aerial view of the area

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Saint+H...:::::f:EN:M:/e
    Last edited by PeteC; March 28th, 2008 at 10:59 AM.