Thread: Tow Bars and Brakes

Default Tow Bars and Brakes

I am looking into purchasing a tow bar and brake system for my 04 Wrangler...wanted to get feedback from folks that use them...good or bad experiences...also would you rather tow or trailer...pros and cons for this.

Thanks,
    Dave

I have several customers that use several different types of tow bars and brake systems.
    All of them have had few issues, the only thing that comes to mind was friend that had his tow bar coupler come loose along I75 on his way wheeling in Canada.

Luckily all that happend to his Jeep was the tow bar itself ended up getting bent as it folded under the Jeep.

If you would like me to quote you some pricing on tow bars and braking systems just let me know either here or call me at 989 832 7538. I can beat any price you might find.

Pat Kinne
    Ironman Offroad
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Dave,

I flat towed my YJ behind my XJ and the only problem that I had was that both vehicles weighed about the same so the towed Jeep would tend to push the tow Jeep down hills. At 65 or 70 on some bigger hills this got a bit hairy at times. But if your towing with a full size truck you will be fine.

One other thing to think about is if you trailer your Jeep and you break you can push it up on the trailer and get home with no problems. With a tow bar if you break a rear axle or some steering parts you're SOL.

Are you planning on taking your TJ to AZ insted of the quads?

Trailer!

If your Jeep becomes disabled you can almost always find a way to drag in on to the trailer. That is not always the case when using a towbar, sometimes the Jeep can't roll.

Etc...
    (Note I have done the towbar gig & still do sometimes but only when a trailer isn't available or just doesn't make sense.)
    SUPPORT THE SPORT!

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

if the jeep is stock, and will only see light duty off road use then a tow bar is ok. if it has bigger tires and will see some tougher trails then a trailer is the only good way to do it. sooner or later you will break it bad enough it wont roll down the hiway. then you winch it up on the trailer and still can make it home. if you go the tow bar route buy a decent name brand one and a brake controller you will be fine to tow it. its not that heavy dont be too worried. good luck either way

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have flat towed our Wranglers behind several vehicles - 1/2 ton Dodge PU, Durango and a tired old 3/4 ton Suburban on trips up to 7 hours long, and even a YJ behind an LJ for short trips around town for service. As long as the tow bar is horizontal to the ground (I currently use an inexpensive $250 Warrior tow bar and brackets) they track straight and without issue on dry pavement. If I did it more often I would certainly consider a brake system just for the peace of mind for panic stops, but all of our towing was done without.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Hey Tom...I hope to take the Jeep to AJ next spring. There are billions and billions of two tracks out there. I replied to you PM...good to hear from you...sounds like all is well with your family...

Thanks to all for your replies...will look into both options...

Dave

One other advantage of the trailer not mentioned.......... excessive wear on your nice big knarly off road lugs.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.