Thread: Always keep your eyes open.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Always keep your eyes open.

Story for all and if anybody has any info on this please share. Saturday Morning me and a friend were bored and decided to go for a ride in the jeep. We headed out for West Branch. After playing for several hours we decided to head back out. The trail (unplowed county road)we traveled down had a hill on one side and a steep drop off on the other. My buddy had just happened to look off to the right and caught a glimspe of what he had tought was a jacket. He was right, we found a young male by himself lost control of his snowmobile and dropped off the side. As he went down to check if this guy was alright is ran up the hill to get service and make the 911 call. I had a difficult time connecting trough. I was able to reach Steve Gradowski back home and told him where we were and asked him to call it in for us. Thanks again Seve. After about an 1hr or so help was able to reach us. It took several firefighters, EMS, Police, snowmobilers, a fellow jeeper how i believe i got to sign up for glfwda, myself and buddy to get this guy up the hill back to flat ground. From there the took him by sled to one of the units until another arrived, not sure if this guy made it or not. If anybody knows anything please share. We unfortunately we did get out for several more hours. Ogemaw Ems thought they could drive back to us, and managed to get not 1 but 2 of there rigs stuck. I was able get the first 1 free but could not get behind the second to try. I just want to share a little bit of this story with everybody. Always be alert you never know what you will see. I am just greatful we were in the right place at the right time and were able to help.
    Last edited by BJO; February 12th, 2008 at 05:41 PM.

Wow, I really hope this guy is alright. My hats off to you and your buddy for helping out.

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome story!

Sure hope it has a happy ending, weather we hear about it or not!

Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

he also has some pictures of this extraction for the pr committee to use(hint).
    perhaps we could get a picture/video thank you form the ems team you pulled out??

this guy is lucky you saw him. if he did make it, its all because of you guys!! great job!!

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member DDS4X4's Avatar

A short write up with a pic would be GREAT for the UFWDA E-news. Send it to Peter V at

e-news@ufwda.org

GREAT job!!!
    Doug - KD8EDH
    UFWDA http://www.ufwda.org/
    GLFWDA http://www.glfwda.org/
    IFWDA http://www.ifwda.org/

2000 WJ Grand Laredo V8 QD UC, trail rated & Doug tested
    Kevins Sliders, 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Cobra 76XTR,
    ARBw/Warn 9.5XP, EMU lift, JKS Discos, Icom V-8000, Garmin GPS

Great story and he is lucky you saw him there. I hope everything turns out for him and like they said above, pics would be great.
    98 TJ 4.0/5spd, D30 w/Aussie, D44 welded, 3.5" RE Superflex, 1.25" body lift, rear corner crushers with sunken LED taillights, flat fendered front, OBA, sitting on 33s.
    4Given4x4.com
    http://www.jt4x4.com/
    http://www.NOVA4x4.org

I came across two of his friends at 8:00pm. They were trying to get his snowmobile up the bank (and it was steep and deep). We had a group of 4 jeeps that had been out running the trails and we were on our way back to the hotel. We stopped to ask if everything was ok. I pulled my jeep around and winched the broken sled up onto the road. His friends said he was in the hospital with a broken leg (they said the bone went through the skin). Not a good day for any of them. I also helped a guy from 4given4x4 get unstuck twice. He slid into some trees with his diesel powered 37" tire blazer. I pulled him free with the winch and he was going to head back the way he had come. Later we heard on the CB that he was stuck again. He said he tried to make it back the way he came in but got stuck. He decided to try to catch up to us and got stuck in a gully (the snow was quite wet and if you spun a tire on it it bacame just like ice). We winched him out the second time and helped him get back to the main roads. He had no winch and his young (I would guess 9-11 years old) son with him. It just goes to show not to go out by yourself. He would have had one heck of a walk had we not been there.

Henry