Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: GLFWDA DUES INCREASE ON HOLD

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have voiced my objections to all of the second-guessing both after the October meeting and the January meeting - I said it before and I stand by it now, if you want an opportunity to determine the future direction of the Association, rearrange your life (like many of us do), bum a ride (like many do at every quarterly), or do whatever is necessary for you to attend the quarterly meetings. To call the actions of those present misguided, blind etc is simply blowing steam and does not further the discussion here. We made informed decisions and informed choices.

The decision to postpone the implementation of the $50 dues rate was not taken lightly by me or any of the other members of the board. We had already made the administrative decision at the January quarterly to delay the implementation until Feb 1 to allow for changes on the website etc. Bob had also held up his usual early-month round of dues renewal notices until after the quarterly because there had been so much discussion about an alternate budget proposal, or reconsidering the dues increase approved in October. As Feb 1 approached there was enough feedback from the Association members (e-mails, telephone calls, and posts here and on other websites) that we made the decision to further delay the implementation another 75 days. We have not approved or even suggested reversing the dues increase approved by the membership, we are simply delaying the implementation of the increse an additional 75 days to give everyone one more chance. I do not have an objection to voting through a change or revision to what has already been discussed and approved.

I offered my opinion on one of the proposals, but that does not mean I endorse it. I will not be making a motion to change things. I probably will not vote in favor of changing things from what has already been hashed out twice. The burden of changing things at this point rests on the shoulders of those proposing the changes. The process remains unchanged - the vote will be made at the pleasure of those in attendance at the quarterly meeting in April. If those promoting a change are not present in sufficient numbers, or if those that voted in favor of the increase in October and subsequently approved the budget in January have not been sufficiently swayed by the recent discussions and the discussion that will be held during new business, then nothing will change.

And frankly, the Executive Board serves at the pleasure of the members. If the Association does not approve of the actions we have taken, the folks present at the April meeting (or any subsequent meeting) have every right to ask us to step down or vote us out. That's not intended as a challenge, or expressing a KMA attitutde, it is merely a fact. We have acted in what we feel is in the best interest of the Association and if we made a bad decision we will have to be ready toabide by the consequences.
    Last edited by phittie1100; February 1st, 2008 at 05:20 PM.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

I would like to be a lifetime member right now, what is the fee for that?

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member DDS4X4's Avatar

Sorry Paul ... and others ... you're NOT getting off that easy!
    You are TOO valuable where you are ... doing what you do ... for the Association.

NOW it time to head NORTH and play in the SNOW!!
    Doug - KD8EDH
    UFWDA http://www.ufwda.org/
    GLFWDA http://www.glfwda.org/
    IFWDA http://www.ifwda.org/

2000 WJ Grand Laredo V8 QD UC, trail rated & Doug tested
    Kevins Sliders, 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Cobra 76XTR,
    ARBw/Warn 9.5XP, EMU lift, JKS Discos, Icom V-8000, Garmin GPS

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
    GLFWDA Lifetime Membership is $500.00. This transaction cannot be completed through the web site paypal as yet.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    GLFWDA Lifetime Membership is $500.00. This transaction cannot be completed through the web site paypal as yet.

are you going to be at snofari this weekend?

Does a lifetime membership include UFWDA or does that still need to be paid annually?
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Senior Member Business Member
    GLFWDA Member

Quote Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    Does a lifetime membership include UFWDA or does that still need to be paid annually?
    http://www.glfwda.org/joinind.html

Life Membership includes a GLFWDA Polo Shirt and Boondocker subscription for life. Ambassador Membership includes a GLFWDA Jacket with the member's name and an inscription denoting Ambassador member status, a Boondocker subscription for life, as well as a UFWDA membership for life.

I guess I could have looked huh?
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Senior Member Business Member
    GLFWDA Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
    I guess I could have looked huh?
    It's new, so we'll let it slide

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member T-way's Avatar

I've been reading posts about the dues increase, and opinions and suggestions regarding same, and feel that many good ideas have been suggested. Anyone following those posts will see that I haven't commented in any of them. The same is probably true for many other members who are also concerned about the dues increase. Just because someone doesn't comment doesn't mean that they don't care or aren't interested!!! In my case, it just means that I don't see the need to make redundant posts that just state what someone else has already said.

Having said that....I fully support the BODs decision to DELAY the dues increase and discuss it further. Some of claimed that the original 2 votes are being "ignored" or "discarded". That is NOT the case.....the increase is simply being DELAYED so that further discussion can be undertaken. The increase, as previously voted on, may be passed after all.

I fully understand that the members who were at the meetings and voted may feel slighted by this. But....many members can NOT make the meetings, and the forum, private messages to BOD members, phone calls, etc. are a good way for them to communicate their thoughts and opinions. Kudos to the BOD for listening to them and realizing that there is a PROBLEM with the proposed increase, and being willing to consider other options before locking the increase in place.

Comments have been made about members needing to do whatever is possible to make the quarterly meetings.....and I agree, if you feel strongly about an issue, it is your responsiblity to show up and voice your opinion or excercise your right to vote.

However....simply expecting people to rearrange their life to make a meeting is not always an option for some. Personally, I used to attend every meeting every year, for at least 4 or 5 years. However, that isn't an option for me now. I fully support having the meetings in a different location each quarter, even though it makes it difficult (or impossible) for me to attend. I drive 800 to 1000 miles weekly for work, and don't have the energy (or money) to drive to Mears or some of the other locations for a meeting. I don't want to do 8 or more hours of driving in a day, and spending the night is not an option. And when you consider custody issues with my kids, it's a little more important for me to spend those weekends with them than attend a meeting. So please, don't point that "do whatever you have to do" finger at others if you don't know their situation. And as I stated before, even though it makes it impossible for ME to attend a meeting, I still support the idea of rotating the meetings around the state. Heck....last Octobers meeting was in Gaylord (where I live), and I still didn't attend because it was just a little more important for me to spend my weekend with my kids, rather than brushing them off for 2 more weeks until I got to see them again!

I'm not flaming anyone, just giving an opinion and hopefully something to think about. KUDOS to the BOD and everyone who is trying to help with this issue!!
    President - Troll Four Wheelers
    Vice President - ATVOffroad.net
    I'm Still Out There - I Haven't Gone Away!!