Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Men with kids....wrench time?

Default Men with kids....wrench time?

OK, if you have kids, how in the heck to you have time to work on your Jeep???

I just put my little girl to bed tonight (8pm) and the wife is gone, so I can't leave the house....so I sit online and work on the Boondocker and stuff. But I do this about 2-3 nights a week.

Typically, I get home at 5-6pm, watch my daughter until dinner or I make dinner then feed my little baby girl, and clean her up and clean up dishes while my wife takes care of other house things. Then its about 7pm now and I do my man of the house duties like trash, fixing door knobs, and cat litter. I then play with my daughter until she gets cranky for sleep, I get her ready for bed and then I'm free at 8pm!

Usually, after 8pm, I don't get to work on the Jeep cuz my wife likes to talk about our day (zzzzzzzz) so I might surf the net while she tells me all the new things Maria can do. Then around 8:30-9 I get to do whatever I want until I go to bed at 10. And by then I'm tired and in no mood to get grease all over myself.

When is there time for our hobby??? Should I put a play pen out in the garage? Put away all my sharp things and toxic cleaners and let her play under my Jeep in the rust and dirt? Wake up at 4am and wrench until I have to go to work and get to bed when my daughter does?

Or, is it as I fear......wait until I'm 50 and the kids are gone?

Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

My neighbor Adam uses the baby monitor when he goes out to the garage and mom is away. But only when he puts the little one to bed.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

I don't think it ever changes. I thought once our kids moved out that we would have more time. I'm sure that I do but it doesn't seem like it. This year included new windows, new siding, a new entry door, a new paved driveway, a new sprinkler system and a new seawall. Sure, I paid for alot of it to be done but playing general contractor was a pain. Not to mention that I didn't think I needed a DEQ permit until I got the "cease and desist" phone call.

I just got thru sending an email to my plumber because he is dragging his feet. Now I have bare studs in my entryway and 2 bathrooms to remodel this year. And, I will do 90% of the work.

The other thing that happened to me was as my career advanced, so did my out of town travels.

So, even if the kids are gone, you gotta make your own time whenever you can.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Do what I did and you'll get what I got!
    Drag the kids out to the barn, give them stuff to play with that won't hurt them and let them go. I sure would have enjoyed posting pictures of you know who playing with tools and parts. Sure they'll get dirty, but it does wash off. You did want a tomboy, right!
    I'm already starting on the grand kids. Gonna need helpers in a few years.
    jim-kb8ymf

Or do what I just did. Had my son in law come over to pick up an axle to clean.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
    OK, if you have kids, how in the heck to you have time to work on your Jeep???
    I pay Ironman to work on it

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member DDS4X4's Avatar

Do it Lucas!

My oldest two (Michelle, from the Water Falls Tour, was the oldest girl) can relate stories of being under my IH Scout, laying beside Dad and handing him tools, while he dropped Trannies or T- cases or worked on the exhaust. I believe it was Michelle who was the only kid who wanted to go trail riding with Dad one summer at Land Between the Lakes in KY. The rest wanted to stay at the campground. So I let her sit on my lap and drive in an open scramble area with no traffic around. I think she was about 6 at the time.

The youngest, used to fall asleep under the Suburban, still a 4x4, while we swapped and rebuilt engines or did routine maintenance.

My youngest girl never seemed too interested in tools, just animals. Now she is a DVM Vet at Raisen River Vet Clinic in Monroe, MI. Guess she would rather "fix" pets! At least she drives a Jeep.

As far as waiting until your 50 ... I paid college tuition for 15 years, as soon as it was over ... I started paying "Dad have a LIFE tuition"!

It is all about priorities as both Jim K and Jim M have mentioned. As it should be, FAMILY comes first, but be creative, as you have been with the Water Falls Tour and worked it together when you can.

Thanks for all you do for Great Lakes and our sport and THANKS to your FAMILY for letting YOU and THEM be a part of our sport!

PS - I don't even want to get started on house projects THEN or NOW!
    Doug - KD8EDH
    UFWDA http://www.ufwda.org/
    GLFWDA http://www.glfwda.org/
    IFWDA http://www.ifwda.org/

2000 WJ Grand Laredo V8 QD UC, trail rated & Doug tested
    Kevins Sliders, 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Cobra 76XTR,
    ARBw/Warn 9.5XP, EMU lift, JKS Discos, Icom V-8000, Garmin GPS

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
    .....wait until I'm 50 and the kids are gone?

This doesn'ty always work.....

If you get your kids involved at an early age, it is easier as time goes by to get more wheelin' in because you can always take them along...
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My 8yr old is learning fractions so he can hand me the right tools when I am under the Jeep. But his first comment is always "But Dad the metric ones are easier!" I just drag him to the garage with me - sometimes he sits at the desk and does his homework, sometimes he works on his own projects, sometimes he helps.

Maria has a few years before she can really participate, but there is hope!
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

JerryD

Right now, because she's so little, it may be a bit more difficult to put her out in the garage. I've used baby monitors, too, but that depends on your daughters age (and probably Mom's comfort level!). You might want to set up a "clean" area where your wife can sit and chat/pay bills/surf the net (you do have a high speed connection in there, right? ). This would allow her to visit with you and you could still use the monitor for Maria. As the kids get older, it gets a bit easier but sometimes you have to get creative to keep boredom away. You'll find the right balance after a while.