Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What gps are you using and why?

Default What gps are you using and why?

I am starting to look at a gps for my jeep. I am looking for something that I can store trails on and just have a little fun with. I know nothing about the gps's out there and was wondering if anyone had any sugestions. Thanks.

Henry

I just bought a Garmin Rino 530 Hcx. I am really happy with the receptions and the GMRS / FRS radio feature. It also has a Micro SD card that you can save routes and maps and waypoints.

The only downside is the current loaded map dosn't have much in the way of roads. Only the very main ones. If you want more roads or a water feature you need to buy addition maps ($100 +).

I am very happy with it so far. The real test will be on my Isle Royale trip starting this Thursday.
    2011 Ford Raptor SCrew #6841- FPP Light Bar, Hella 550 lights
    2006 Hummer H3 - Adv. Package, lot's of other stuff
    1976 International Scout -

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After you get everybodies advice and decide: http://www.thegpsstore.com/?ref=yssp

My GPS of choice is Garmin GPS Map 478:
    http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GP...ps-P999C1.aspx
    The only Portable GPS/Chartplotter with Offshore Marine and Street Detail Pre-Loaded.
    It works on the Boat, on the On/Off the Road and has XM Radio Capability...
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

76CSx, lots of software available, plotting, color display, data card, water proof, floats, on road directions, etc, etc.... Easily moved from vehicle, to bike, to snowmobile, to motorcycle, to hand held, to carry case. It fit my portability needs perfectly and still has tons of features.

I have the Garmin 276C. Nice color screen, portable & waterproof. A big thing to keep in mind is the number of tracks you can store. 10 is minimum.

Seems like most people like the Garmins which also allows for some sharing.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

I have used three or four different handheld brands at different times. Magellan and one other, I can't think of the name. The garmins have always been the most reliable and most accurate.

I was using my olf gramin from the mid 90's and I kicked my college roommates but when we did times geocache finds.
    2011 Ford Raptor SCrew #6841- FPP Light Bar, Hella 550 lights
    2006 Hummer H3 - Adv. Package, lot's of other stuff
    1976 International Scout -

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

i know almost nothing about gps's i used garmin gpsmap76 and was totally lost in its functions. it will take you some time to learn how to use it properly. the gpsstore jarhead talks about is about as cheap as ive seen. jarhead knows his stuff about gps. i figured it would be easy and it was not!! but hey i was cellphone illiterate till about a year ago.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    After you get everybodies advice and decide: http://www.thegpsstore.com/?ref=yssp

My GPS of choice is Garmin GPS Map 478:
    http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GP...ps-P999C1.aspx
    The only Portable GPS/Chartplotter with Offshore Marine and Street Detail Pre-Loaded.
    It works on the Boat, on the On/Off the Road and has XM Radio Capability...
    Just received my 478 via UPS today. I ordered mine from the GPS store also. Fast shipping, great prices. Now i have to go read the manual to start learning how to use the thing. I also have an older Garmin Vista that gets very bad reception unless you are right out in the open.

Wandering But Not Lost GLFWDA Member Rattler's Avatar

Garmin etrex I got cheap. It works alright. I am looking to upgrade though now that I have the basics down.
    You boys up from the Iron League hey? Lotsa fights? RIP Paul Newman

Thanks for the information. I took a quick look at the gps store and will do some research on all that they carry. The have some good sales also.

Henry