Thread: db reading person Needed for Kids in the Mudd

Dave, the owner of Kids in the Mudd sent me an email late last night that he is looking for someone to do decibel readings on his property lines this coming weekend, the 9th. The courts have asked him to have this redone for an upcoming court date. He is posting all over the place to have as many ATVs and fullsize rigs out at the property as possible so they can get accurate db readings on the property lines at full capacity. Does anybody know someone that does this or know how I can get in touch with somebody to do this in Decatur this coming Saturday?

Roger
    98 TJ 4.0/5spd, D30 w/Aussie, D44 welded, 3.5" RE Superflex, 1.25" body lift, rear corner crushers with sunken LED taillights, flat fendered front, OBA, sitting on 33s.
    4Given4x4.com
    http://www.jt4x4.com/
    http://www.NOVA4x4.org

Chair, Land Use Committee GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry Roger, no idea.

Maybe a call to Jim Mazzola, or Pete Lundburg of Silver Lake State Park??
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trail_Fanatic &#064; Jun 6 2007, 08&#58;22 AM) [snapback]25750[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry Roger, no idea.

Maybe a call to Jim Mazzola, or Pete Lundburg of Silver Lake State Park??
    [/b]

Roger,

If this is a court ordered requirement you&#39;ll need testing done by someone licensed to do environmental noise level testing. The is NOT cheap. I have the equipment AND I did all the testing for Pete when we set the limits for Silver Lake, but it wasn&#39;t done for legal reasons. It was done so Pete could demonstrate to the District Supervisors and local residents that the levels we were asking for were not detrimental to the surrounding residents.
    From my experience and from the testing I&#39;ve done I have found that &#39;far distance&#39; testing is almost meaningless. The courts really have no idea of what&#39;s acceptable and what&#39;s not. We can get a reading but if you talk during the time you are taking the reading, you&#39;ll register your voice as 70 ish dBa where the far distance noise will be less that that.
    The other factor that comes into play is &#39;what dBa level will be allowed on the property to begin with. You&#39;d stand a better chance of convencing the judge that your doing the right thing if everyone met the state requirement of 96 dBa @ 20" and 45*.
    jim-kb8ymf

Thanks for the insight Jim. I&#39;ll find out if it was court ordered or something his lawyer suggested that he do. When I went to the first township hearing I witnessed how against this park some of the local residents are. One lady said that the noise was awful and she couldn&#39;t stand it, especially all the noise from the atvs after dark. I got to talking with one of the locals during the meeting and after the meeting he told me to follow him. He went up behind that lady and clapped his hands and she didn&#39;t hear a thing. He said she has been legally def and wearing a high volume hearing aid for almost 3 years, but she got her statement in the books and that&#39;s what mattered to her. Dave has never let anyone on his property after dark to ride so he videotaped some of the local boys riding their dirt bikes down that road at midnight letting the rpms scream and has admitted that to the courts for the night time noise. Some of the locals were ok with the whole idea, but the ones that didn&#39;t want it were very loud, making their opinions heard.
    98 TJ 4.0/5spd, D30 w/Aussie, D44 welded, 3.5" RE Superflex, 1.25" body lift, rear corner crushers with sunken LED taillights, flat fendered front, OBA, sitting on 33s.
    4Given4x4.com

i was present for the meeting and your right, the meeting was a joke i mean how can a golf cousre be zoned agri. and parks and rec be zoned the same and an orv park not be and even denied a special use permit
    Built not Bought

Jim, I sent your response on here to Dave at Kids in the Mudd. Here is his response. This was not ordered by the court. The lawyer thinks it would be good information to have.

Hi Roger,
    We have a db reader, the one from RadioShack. Our lawyer thought it
    would be a good idea to have someone experienced to do readings from our
    property lines and to have it on video. This is to take to our ZBA hearing,
    if we have one, and we could show the judge if needed. Seeing is believing.
    It was not ordered by the court. This is for the neighbors that are
    clueless about noise and levels. The person that did the readings for Pete
    at Silver Lake would be great&#33; This would also be to demonstrate to the
    Township, ZBA board and surrounding residents. Hamilton Township doesn&#39;t
    have a noise restriction. The one that we did ourselves even had a deer
    come out in front of Dave that stood and looked around. [/b]
    Is there anybody on that side of the state that can help them with the equipment and getting everything documented? My wife has plans for me this weekend since I&#39;ll be at Silver Lake Saturday of next weekend and helping with the GPSing of the M Triangle on Sunday. They are also looking for ATVs and rigs to wheel on Saturday so they can get good information as to how much traffic to how much noise is generated.
    4Given4x4.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(calvynandhobbs &#064; Jun 6 2007, 02&#58;36 PM) [snapback]25765[/snapback]</div>
    Is there anybody on that side of the state that can help them with the equipment and getting everything documented?
    [/b]
    Don&#39;t know of anyone on the westside that is familiar with sound level checking. If they have the Radio Shack stuff, it&#39;s the same as mine. It&#39;s pretty fool proof. As long as the settings are &#39;a&#39; scale and set to fast response everything should be OK. Like I said though. Normal conversation will register louder that the vehicles on site.
    jim-kb8ymf

FYI, with the help of Steve (Kartracer) over on GL4x4 I was able to locate a friend of his near Decatur that does db testing for his construction company sites. He and Steve will be at KITM this weekend to do the readings. I have the feeling Steve will wheel the whole day though. Dave will have more information for the courts this next time go around and hopefully can get his park reopened this summer.

Roger
    4Given4x4.com

Chair, Land Use Committee GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

GOOD LUCK&#33;

We&#39;re rootin&#39; for ya&#33;
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?