Thread: High sitting CJ seats

The seats in my CJ are aftermarket, but the mounting brackets appear stock, or at least a reproduction. I am 6'2, and I have to stretch to push the pedals down. I need to lower my seats a good 2-3 inches.

Looking at the seat risers in a YJ at work, I noticed they sit a good 2-3 inches lower than mine. According to several parts sources, CJ and YJ's share the same seat risers.

My question is, has anyone heard of an aftermarket riser set that sits taller than stock? If so, I think that is what I have. However before simply swapping them out for YJ brackets, I want to figure out what is going on with the ones I have.

And by the way, I have thought about cutting and lowering the brackets, but the several different angles needed to keep the front tilt option still working may not allow me to do this. Any thoughts?
    Recovered jeep addict on the straight and narrow with Toyotas

One of our guys (Oldsailor) was running into a similar problem. He originally had a 6 point cage with plastic buckets and sliders mounted to it. Then, when he rebuilt his rig, he switched to a standard a-frame roll bar and went back to floor mounted seats. When he tried using the sliders, frames, and plastic buckets, he found that they sat too high.

In the end, I think he went with a setup from Corbeau. I might be wrong on the brand, but it was one of the better known names. You might want to try getting ahold of him to get the exact details, as I'm just going by memory of what he's told me.
    Eric Williams

Kieth,

It is not your seat brackets but your seats that are riding high. You have seen the seats I have in my CJ and how I have them mounted to the cage instead of the factory brackets. This is becuase the seat risers were to tall for the particular seat I was using.

It worked out however becuase I wanted my seats tied into the cage anyway and this forced me to finally do it. Guys with YJ's and the same seats as mine have had the same problems so this tells me that the YJ and CJ seat brackets are the same height.

I lost my flip forward option which didnt bother me as I dont have a back seat or any kids.

Your only option might be to get a set of seats made as replacements for stock CJ, let me know if you want me to quote you a price on a set.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

I really don't want to loose the flip forward option. In fact, I only have that on the pass side. Is that normal, or did both sides orignally flip forward?

My seats are definately thick seats, but the risers themselves are really tall, even compared to others I've looked at.

I plan on ditching my seats for stock type ones anyways, so I guess the question is, does anyone have a set for sale?
    Recovered jeep addict on the straight and narrow with Toyotas

Senior Member Business Member
    GLFWDA Member

Do your seats slide back and forth?

If so, take the sliders out and it will lower the seat a little bit.

My '85 CJ had the stock sliders/risers/seats (high backs) and I could reach the pedals with no problems (I'm also 6'2"). I've since switched seats but they don't seem to sit any different.