Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CB question

Professional Screw-up GLFWDA Member

Anyone ever wired in their CB into their audio system ?? I'm not the greatest with electrical but I know it can be done. I had a website bookmarked at one time that showed how to do it but my computer crashed.

All you will need to do is have a cb with an external speaker output then hook it to one of your stereo speakers. Except when using your CB you would not be able to listen to Metalica

Is this what you meant?

My CB is mounted overhead and it's speaker is on the bottom so hearing it isnt a problem. I also use the PA option with a underhood PA speaker so when I am outside the Jeep I can hear someone calling.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My CB is in the console because nothing locks in my Jeep except the console. I can't hear the speaker, so I ran an external speaker (Radio Shack) up under the dash instead of trying to wire it into the stereo.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; May 8 2007, 07&#58;43 AM) [snapback]24722[/snapback]</div>
    I also use the PA option with a underhood PA speaker so when I am outside the Jeep I can hear someone calling.
    [/b]
    I get so sick of him yelling at me over the PA that I&#39;m about ready to cut the wire to the megaphone.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; May 8 2007, 04&#58;57 PM) [snapback]24749[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; May 8 2007, 07&#58;43 AM) [snapback]24722[/snapback]
    I also use the PA option with a underhood PA speaker so when I am outside the Jeep I can hear someone calling.
    [/b]
    I get so sick of him yelling at me over the PA that I&#39;m about ready to cut the wire to the megaphone.
    [/b][/quote]

If you werent such a slacker when your wheeling I wouldnt have to bust your chops on the PA
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

I know you can just splice into the wiring harness but doesnt that pose a possibility of some feed back or something going back into the stereo ?? I don&#39;t want to fry my radio .

most newer head units have a aux. input but this will require the radio to be put on aux to hear it.
    Hmm.. In a painless wiring harness they recomend some little dioed or somthing that goes into the line near the altanator to prevent backfeed. It was discribed to me like a one way valve...but for electricity.. if you put this in the speeker wire between the cb connection and the radio, and in the positive wire for the speeker??&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?? I belive they were avaliable at radio shack.. might ask there&#33;&#33;

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scottdidit &#064; May 10 2007, 06&#58;36 AM) [snapback]24788[/snapback]</div>
    most newer head units have a aux. input but this will require the radio to be put on aux to hear it.
    Hmm.. In a painless wiring harness they recomend some little dioed or somthing that goes into the line near the altanator to prevent backfeed. It was discribed to me like a one way valve...but for electricity.. if you put this in the speeker wire between the cb connection and the radio, and in the positive wire for the speeker??&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?? I belive they were avaliable at radio shack.. might ask there&#33;&#33;
    [/b]

Now that what I&#39;m talking about &#33;&#33; But I went to Radio Shack last week and all the have are the diodes for like mothers boards and stuff. And you are correct about the one valve idea .. the yprevent backfeed to the radio. Wouldnt it be great if I could find that site again LOL

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NewRide &#064; May 11 2007, 05&#58;09 AM) [snapback]24809[/snapback]</div>
    Now that what I&#39;m talking about &#33;&#33; But I went to Radio Shack last week and all the have are the diodes for like mothers boards and stuff. And you are correct about the one valve idea .. the yprevent backfeed to the radio. Wouldnt it be great if I could find that site again LOL
    [/b]
    You need to find a Radio Shack that has someone behind the counter that understands electronics. Solder the diode into your line, put a little shrink tube over the connections and you can have a wire harness with a little effort and little cost. Figuring the size of the diode is the hard part because it is based on the output of your radio. If you have the spec sheet on your radio, it shouldn&#39;t be too difficult to find the mathematical formula to plug your numbers into and buy the right size diode (Web-Site, Community College, Hamm Operator, etc.). If you don&#39;t have the spec sheet on your radio, now we have another problem...
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Nope no spec sheet the radio came with the Jeep. I guess I&#39;ll spend an evening tryin to search the web again.