Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: GPS and state trails

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rattler &#064; May 20 2007, 09&#58;05 AM) [snapback]25113[/snapback]</div>
    I got mine from here:

http://www.nohvcc.org/IMAGES/prgps.asp
    [/b]

Thanks for the link.

Dan
    WG8A

MUD SWEAT AND GEARS 4X4 CLUB MEMBER

KE5ETX

PM sent to the OP concerning assistance with Yankee Springs.

The link for the DVD was great, I sent them one email and should have it in a few days. No charge.

Thanks all

JC

Lapeer County, the county of my residence, has quite a bit of State land and it has some forest service trails that run through it. Most of the trails are now blocked off by a metal swing gate. Is there any way we could get permission from the DNR to gain entrance and GPS map these trails?

Default trails

i have the video anda gps now if i can get some help puting the lift and find some 31 -33 inch tires for the xj ill be in for a ride(yj is down for a motor swap and the xj just needs better tires and with being disabled due to neurve damage its hard for me to do some work on my rig) anyway im up for a ride first part of sep if i can get the xj done

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lbfin88 View Post
    Lapeer County, the county of my residence, has quite a bit of State land and it has some forest service trails that run through it. Most of the trails are now blocked off by a metal swing gate. Is there any way we could get permission from the DNR to gain entrance and GPS map these trails?
    The best place to start is your local DNR Office:
    Lapeer State Game Area
    3116 Vernor Rd., Lapeer, MI 48446
    (810) 664-8355
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Being a Lapeer county resident for over 16 yrs now, My wife and I enjoyed using the trails In this area Up until about 5yrs ago when the last trails through interlake trail system were closed or improved to a gravel road for 2wd traffic. I remember that when I first used the area around 1992,that many of the challenging trails had already been closed.

About 10 yrs ago My wife and I where enjoying a campfire along one of the posted "open trails"at that time when a CO came by and chatted with us for about a 1/2 hr or so about different things and told him how much we enjoyed using the area. I also told him that I was shocked to find so much trash dumped out there, he said Its a real problem and hard to control. then he asked me for my Lic.& reg. because he had to write me a ticket for Improper use of trails system. I was in shock and told him that the trail was posted open. He went on some speel about this area Is for hunting and fishing acccess and since I was just out joy riding I was violating some game area ordinence.

Keep in mind this was a long time ago but my feeling is that since its still a state game area that there attitude probobly hasnt changed.

Is there any way to search If this old trail system to find out how these trail were classified?

I would love to see some of this trail system re-opened.

Is the local feild office really the best place to start?
    Old school yj, not a big deal.
    Karl

So, did you get a ticket and pay it or did you fight it?
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

I was issued a ticket.when I went to the clerks office to pay it she spent about 10 min. looking up the violation as this was something she had not seen before. I asked where I could contest it and she said somthing to the effect that since it was issued on state land she wasnt sure what to do. Had i been more informed about the laws and not been so ignorant, I probobly would have fought it . I think the ticket was around a 100 bucks.

I still enjoy using this area,mainly for working my dog as there are miles of nice wooded trails that with a little work could easly be used again by full size users.
    Old school yj, not a big deal.
    Karl

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner View Post
    ...Is the local feild office really the best place to start?
    Without cooperation from the Local Field Office, the entire battle is all uphill and fruitless.

There is a State Form (I can't find a copy at the moment to get a form number) that can be filled out to open new or existing trails. During the reveiw of the Proposal, the Local Field Office is involved because they have first hand local knowledge of the area.

Just like what we are currently doing in the West Branch Area as we attempt to connect and loop the ORV Routes so they don't simply come to a dead end.

If you can foster a relationship with the Local DNR, you will know whether your wishes or desires have any chance of becoming reallity before the paperwork is ever submitted.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner View Post
    I would love to see some of this trail system re-opened.

Is the local feild office really the best place to start?

PM Sent
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?