Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: another newby question

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Apr 13 2007, 05&#58;11 PM) [snapback]24157[/snapback]</div>
    Pat, you better charge more that 79 bucks for a set of mounts&#33;

I put some tow hooks on the wifes XJ last fall. The same kind as stock made by Rusty&#39;s. OK for typical quick pulls. But burry it in some glue like mud and I would rather be pulled backwards&#33; They only have about 3 bolts per side, but its through sheetmetal basically. I enlarged the holes to 1/2" bolts with large washers, but still wouldn&#39;t trust it for a serious pull.

Dave D. bent his up in Mqt a few years back doing a side pull, bent the "frame rail" sideways, ZJ thou.

I definitely would go the route of an entire front bumper and winch mount. Then you get your D-rings. Side pulls and front pulls kind of distribute the force between the two "frame rails" (unibody eh&#33.

My .02

Lucas
    [/b]
    Lucas, I was not reffering to mounting them to the stock bumper but to the spot where the stock tow hooks go. I have built several that mount in that location, same place you would mount the aftermarket bumper you speak of.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Apr 13 2007, 07&#58;29 AM) [snapback]24144[/snapback]</div>
    Doug, do you have any pics of said tow hook failure? Or the result that it caused?
    [/b]
    I don&#39;t have a picture of the fractured tow hook but I can tell you it was a factory installed one, branbd new vehicle, like the first month out. The hook broke right where the bolt went through the hook. The section thickness didn&#39;t get thicker but the hole went right through the body of the hook and it just narrowed up. Not sure how the company fixed the problem but the company exec driving the truck was quick to not let picture get taken of it and not much was ever said of it afterwards. I do know that when it broke, I almost got hit in the head.
    jim-kb8ymf

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

the bolt on d ring setup ive seen looks pretty stout&#33; alot stouter than the crummy factory tow hooks i got&#33; very thick, solid steel. looks pretty tough. i have pulled a 1 ton cummins dually out with my tow hooks. took some full throttle jerks to free it, but it wasnt that burried. the hooks take more abuse than i thought they wood.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Apr 14 2007, 12&#58;16 AM) [snapback]24172[/snapback]</div>
    the bolt on d ring setup ive seen looks pretty stout&#33; alot stouter than the crummy factory tow hooks i got&#33; very thick, solid steel. looks pretty tough. i have pulled a 3/4 ton cummins dually out with my tow hooks. took some full throttle jerks to free it, but it wasnt that burried. the hooks take more abuse than i thought they wood.
    [/b]
    If you can get them (D rings that is) securely mounted as Pat suggested, I would do D ring ANYDAY before a hook, factory or otherwise. D rings have the ability to affix the strap without worrying about it slipping off and hooks don&#39;t . And yes I do know about those springy clips.....not worth didley in my opinion.
    jim-kb8ymf

I have not had problems with straps slipping off hooks. Trick is the hooks need to be pointing "UP" as compared to the stupid factory ZJ hooks that face down. Yes, there have been a couple times that a strap has slipped off but I also see an upside to hooks. There have been a couple times where I have seen someone about ready to roll. It is far FASTER to slip a strap over a hook to secure someone.

Bottom line, both have pros and cons but the real key is location and proper mounting.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Someone should make a "mini" bumper. Mounts to either side of the "frame rails" and in the center is a D ring mount. Run it right under the bumper. Maybe 2x3 1/4 wall laid sideways with a tab welded through the center of the 2" wide part front and back. The mounts would be your typical mounts, but maybe make a flate (french word) sandwich plate instead of any washers. Sleeve the back hole with a piece of tube through the frame rail with giganto (slang word) 3/16" thick washers...

You might say, shut up Lucas, they already make a reciever for the front&#33; But I say it hangs too low&#33;

Lucas
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

SHUT UP LUCAS.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Apr 14 2007, 10&#58;10 AM) [snapback]24187[/snapback]</div>
    Someone should make a "mini" bumper. Mounts to either side of the "frame rails" and in the center is a D ring mount.
    Lucas
    [/b]
    Most bumpers I see with a D-ring right in the center are not properly tied back to the frame rail. That&#39;s why most manufacturers have the D-rings off to the side to tie into the frame horns. And 1/4" in my opinion is to thick. Done right, #4000lb vehicles should be able to get by with 3/16"

Actually Lucas this is probably what you mean...

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=gargantuan

j-kb8ymf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Apr 14 2007, 08&#58;10 PM) [snapback]24200[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Apr 14 2007, 10&#58;10 AM) [snapback]24187[/snapback]
    Someone should make a "mini" bumper. Mounts to either side of the "frame rails" and in the center is a D ring mount.
    Lucas
    [/b]
    Most bumpers I see with a D-ring right in the center are not properly tied back to the frame rail. That&#39;s why most manufacturers have the D-rings off to the side to tie into the frame horns. And 1/4" in my opinion is to thick. Done right, #4000lb vehicles should be able to get by with 3/16"

Actually Lucas this is probably what you mean...

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=gargantuan

j-kb8ymf
    [/b][/quote]

Nobody ever said I didn&#39;t make things strong enough&#33; If 1/8" would work, I&#39;d bump it up to 1/4". Maybe thats why my lower control arms take 2 people to set into place....?

Well, I use the word Giganto. (ji-gan-to) not as big as ginormous (ji-nor-mos).

And its not my vehicle I&#39;m worried about, its Keiths 10,000lb 46" tired monster I need to concern myself with.....
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics