Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: another newby question

gregmanning1033

this might be a dumb question but how would i attach d-rings to my stock bumper? or i guess is it possible, keep in mind i don't have a welder. (94 yj)

Is this for the front or rear?

I wouldn't think the stock bumpers would be strong enough.

Why not get a set of factory tow hooks?
    Steve
    Yj, lift, lockers, Swampers, winch, and Cold AC
    Member TriCity Trailriders

gregmanning1033

well that was kinda my other part of the question. are the factory tow hooks dependable and safe? good for more than looks? this will be for the front bumper.

Factory tow hooks on Jeeps are up to the task of pulling the weight of the Jeep they are on or another vehicle of equal or lesser weight. So in other words dont go hooking up to a 8000 pound 3/4ton truck buried to it's frame and expect to be safe.

Also remember when using extraction equipment always use straps without hooks on the ends and never use clevis's to attach two straps together. And on the subject of clevis's, never use the ones with pull pins, only threaded ones and with at least a 4 ton WLL (working load limit) this rating will be present on the side of the clevis. AND NO CHAINS!

What are you using on the rear for tow points?
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

gregmanning1033

um...right now a reciever with a d-ring hitch adapter...but i'm open to suggestions

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member DDS4X4's Avatar

Rear tow point as you have indicated is GREAT as long as you use the correct style D-ring as described by Ironman.

My suggestion is use the factory tow hooks as described by Ironman for now if they are already installed. If you have none yet, go for the D-ring installation. It is SAFER, factory tow hooks can and do FAIL.
    Doug - KD8EDH
    UFWDA http://www.ufwda.org/
    GLFWDA http://www.glfwda.org/
    IFWDA http://www.ifwda.org/

2000 WJ Grand Laredo V8 QD UC, trail rated & Doug tested
    Kevins Sliders, 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Cobra 76XTR,
    ARBw/Warn 9.5XP, EMU lift, JKS Discos, Icom V-8000, Garmin GPS

gregmanning1033

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DDS4X4 &#064; Apr 12 2007, 04&#58;58 PM) [snapback]24125[/snapback]</div>
    Rear tow point as you have indicated is GREAT as long as you use the correct style D-ring as described by Ironman.

My suggestion is use the factory tow hooks as described by Ironman for now if they are already installed. If you have none yet, go for the D-ring installation. It is SAFER, factory tow hooks can and do FAIL.
    [/b]

thats just it, how or can i attach d-rings to a factory bumper, is it strong enough? i don&#39;t have a welder but i have friends that do and could weld it for me, if thats the only way. has anyone seen or used the d-ring "thing" jc whitney has that bolts to the tow hook holes but allows the d-ring to hang of the front. But they are like 79.00 each, i could almost just buy a new front bumper......i&#39;m just broke at the moment.

if all you want is to attach a D ring to your stock tow hook location I can fab you a mount to do just that

And cheaper than the &#036;79 that JC Whitney wants.

call me

Pat

Ironman Offroad
    989 832 7538
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Doug, do you have any pics of said tow hook failure? Or the result that it caused?
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Pat, you better charge more that 79 bucks for a set of mounts&#33;

I put some tow hooks on the wifes XJ last fall. The same kind as stock made by Rusty&#39;s. OK for typical quick pulls. But burry it in some glue like mud and I would rather be pulled backwards&#33; They only have about 3 bolts per side, but its through sheetmetal basically. I enlarged the holes to 1/2" bolts with large washers, but still wouldn&#39;t trust it for a serious pull.

Dave D. bent his up in Mqt a few years back doing a side pull, bent the "frame rail" sideways, ZJ thou.

I definitely would go the route of an entire front bumper and winch mount. Then you get your D-rings. Side pulls and front pulls kind of distribute the force between the two "frame rails" (unibody eh&#33.

My .02

Lucas
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics