Thread: problems when wet

gregmanning1033

well i went blasting through a big puddle yesterday and my jeep quit, i'm assuming because the distributor got wet...?
    if this was the problem is there a way to prevent it...outher than avoiding the puddles? or is this not the problem?

Silicone aroung the base of the dist. cap, dialectric grease in the plug boots and make sure none of your plug wires have any cracks.

Keep a can of wire dry with you or WD40 to spray out the cap if it does get wet inside.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

If you think the engine took in water pull the plugs and turn it over (by hand the first few revolutions). Then a compression test and change out the oil or visa versa if your oil looks like a chocolate shake. If your certain that the engine didn't ingest water I'd start with pulling the dist. cap off, wiping out any moisture and blow it out with air. WD-40, etc... will help, but be careful as the aerosol is flamable and if it's not evaporated before you put the cap back on it can go boom and blow your cap off, or worse yet crack it! After you get it all dried out see if it'll start. If not spark test it and start to troubleshoot the ignition, fuses, wiring, etc...

This is kind of the readers digest version of what to look for, and I hate guessing without actually seeing a vehicle and it's symptoms. You can never go wrong with a service manual, they have lots of good tips that you can carry over to other models. Good luck!

Edit: Like Ironman said; I use lots of silicone when sealing the cap and dialectric grease at the plug ends. It works for me.........and I'm a deep water addict off road :P

gregmanning1033

thanks for the tips guys, and renegade...i'me sure it didn't take in any water...it just got wet, but i will definatly plan for the worst when i clean and prep the distributor.

Note to self: Don't try to follow Renegade II.

Second note to self: Stay out of deep water........it ruins things......... such as electrical connections, headlight plugs, firewall master connection blocks, etc.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Lower 41.5 GLFWDA Member Renegade II's Avatar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Apr 4 2007, 01&#58;42 PM) [snapback]23890[/snapback]</div>
    Note to self: Don&#39;t try to follow Renegade II.

Second note to self: Stay out of deep water........it ruins things......... such as electrical connections, headlight plugs, firewall master connection blocks, etc.
    [/b]

I buy dialectric grease in the big "easy cheese" sized pressurized container, solder every wire connection, use liquid electrical tape on everything and have put weather pack connectors on all of my wiring. All these things I learned many years ago.........the hard way

gregmanning1033

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renegade II &#064; Apr 4 2007, 03&#58;56 PM) [snapback]23892[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Apr 4 2007, 01&#58;42 PM) [snapback]23890[/snapback]
    Note to self: Don&#39;t try to follow Renegade II.

[/b]

I buy dialectric grease in the big "easy cheese" sized pressurized container, solder every wire connection, use liquid electrical tape on everything and have put weather pack connectors on all of my wiring. All these things I learned many years ago.........the hard way
    [/b][/quote]

renegade, ever thoght about maybe purchasing a um...boat? lol