Thread: Looking for some big I-beams

Finally getting into the beginning stages of reworking my old cattle barn into a more user freindly shop. I need to get rid of some interior poles and need some big I-beams. What I need is 30 foot long, and at least 10 inches tall. I have some availble locally for a fair price, but if I can get some cheaper, used, free, whatever, I'm open to ideas. I really don't care how they look, as long as they are strong, and I need at least 3 for the project, but as many as 5 total.
    Recovered jeep addict on the straight and narrow with Toyotas

30' long and only a 10" section? I hope you have some support posts in between or the new bus will look like the same.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Yes, I plan some support beams, just in better places than I have now. Does anyone know what size I would need to support the roof and go 30 foot without supports? I bet they would have to be huge.

Engineered trusses would most likely be a better choice than 'I' beams pound for pound.
    Size of beam also depends on amount of load on the roof. Both live and dead.
    j-kb8ymf

You're probably right Jim, but I don't have that kind of dough, used Structural I-beams are availble in different sizes for fair prices at several local outlets. I may also go with the wood laminate beams, but I haven't priced those out yet. I've never been good at doing things the right way, but I always seem to get them done somehow.