Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Gladwin

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motrctyman &#064; Mar 31 2007, 05&#58;16 AM) [snapback]23760[/snapback]</div>
    It was published in 2001 by DeLorme.
    [/b]
    I don&#39;t know that area and can&#39;t comment on it, specifically.

I do know that, over in my area, I&#39;ve noticed many trails on the map that aren&#39;t legal any more.
    The Michigan Atlas and Gazetteer is a great scale map for the maintained stuff, but I think much of their data for the backwoods is outdated. While it can get you into trouble, it&#39;s also a great resource for finding good areas to look into further.

Glad you&#39;re looking into it further here.
    I&#39;m extremely interested in hearing what people who do know that area have to say.

The GLFWDA Land Use Committee is in the process of obtaining Certification Maps of each county north of the Rifle Line (M46), but they haven&#39;t arrived yet. If this hasn&#39;t been settled when they do, I&#39;ll post up the Certified County owned roads in that area.

Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I ended up missing our Gladwin run because of work, but let me see if I can get a map from the guys that did go. There was not a whole lot of legal fun stuff, other than a water hole on one trail that killed a transmission.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Senior Member Supporting The Sport!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motrctyman &#064; Mar 31 2007, 05&#58;16 AM) [snapback]23760[/snapback]</div>
    [attachmentid=923]
    Here&#39;s a route I was planning on running. Never been here before. Glad I checked this site first. What are your opinions? Where should I avoid? I don&#39;t want to be illegal, but this map makes it look legit. It was published in 2001 by DeLorme.
    [/b]
    Chris just about everything you highlighted on that map you CANT run. Its either private property or part of the Lame Duck game area where no motorized vehicle traffic is permitted. Now Sterling Truck trail you can run...but most of the time is an easy seasonal road. Spring time is really muddy and rutted up, until they grade it.

As for the Gladwin ORV route...its really boring now. It used to be a decent 5 mile stretch of muddy trail. That old section is no longer labeled an ORV route. The new route which is just short loop to connect two sections of ATV trail is just a sandy two track. To get to it you would need to take Centerfire Tr. to Mosquito Alley Truck Tr....then head west.

Thanks. I was hoping you&#39;d chime in again. I just wanted a quick day trip and maybe a beer and burger at Hanks? in Alger.

It is obviously a little closer than St. Helen

Senior Member Supporting The Sport!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motrctyman &#064; Mar 31 2007, 09&#58;25 PM) [snapback]23790[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I was hoping you&#39;d chime in again. I just wanted a quick day trip and maybe a beer and burger at Hanks? in Alger.

It is obviously a little closer than St. Helen
    [/b]

Chris if you want to run that area some time let me know. I can meet up with you and Nancy, and show you some trails and sights.