Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gladwin

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK, time to educate me again on how to determine legal from illegal. One of our club members just moved up to the Gladwin area this summer, and has been poking around north of M61. He was trying to get down to the Gladwin Trail area that shows up on the DNR map as legal for full-size. Unfortunately he was trying to hit it from Ridge Rd to the NW of the trail, and ran into some really sloppy roads and turned back. I am guessing he was almost down to the bridge that has been gone for as long as I have been hunting up there. Anybody familiar with that area? Is there anything up there that is legal besides that little 8 mile loop?
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Well, you've opened a can of worms on this one. Here's my opinion. If it's got orange ORV confidence markers you'll be OK with an ORV sticker. In fact the law even states you don't need one but why risk it with the loonie DNR interpetations of the ORV law. Now on the other trails, just bring your dads Buick. If you need 4wd your gonna get a ticket. The law says, you can only travel the trail in a 2wd passenger vehicle.
    nuff said!
    jim-kb8ymf

The road he was on is called Iron Bridge road, dont even think of being on it, you will get a ticket.

I know of several tickets for that two track that were written to 2 wheel drive truck owners, ticket read acting in an erosive manner. No way to traverse it without that effect. Plus the road crosses the Mollasses river and there is no bridge, water crossings are illegal.

Gladwin is a hot bed for tickets anymore and not worth the trouble of finding something to keep you entertained. Entertainment you will find will be in court.

The ORV route that is currently on the ground there is only a "shortcut" for the 50" trail. The Gladwin route used to be the only signed route that I had ever ran that actually had water on it almost year around, it used to be fun. Then when they decided to do some 50" trail work, the Cycle Cons. Club (they had the maint. grant) wanted to move the route so it was on higher ground and they didnt get their panties wet when they rode it. So they got their wish and now we have another useless route on our hands!

I was on Ridge Road sunday and actually witnessed a young kid riding his quad out hunting down Iron Bridge road south of RidgeRd. If I would have been driving my vehicle I would have stopped and asked him if he knew the ORV laws. As it was my uncle was driving and he was in a hurry to get back home after the nights hunt. Now his quad tracks are there for all to see, giving responsible quad folks a bad name and leading other non law abiding riders to think that it is ok to ride there, after all there are quad tracks.

I will get off this now.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Senior Member Supporting The Sport!

Gladwin use to be a great area, but now anything fun is blocked off, or a ticket waiting to happen.

To bad as its 15 minutes from my house

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You call it a road - with a name ,even.

ANY chance it's still on the County Road Commission books as a Certified road?

That's the only way I can think that you MIGHT be able to travel it if it's been closed by the DNR. This would make travel legal but creating an erosive condition would still be a no-no.
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trail_Fanatic &#064; Dec 13 2006, 10&#58;24 PM) [snapback]20637[/snapback]</div>
    You call it a road - with a name ,even.

ANY chance it&#39;s still on the County Road Commission books as a Certified road?

That&#39;s the only way I can think that you MIGHT be able to travel it if it&#39;s been closed be the DNR. This would make travel legal but creating an erosive condition would still be a no-no.
    [/b]
    This road has been burmed only from the south, due to the bridge being out. Not much point in trying to make it legal, they will not build a bridge so we can use it. And if they did build a bridge the rest of the road would also have to be repaired as to not have any standing water on it, you know, create a "maintenance" situatuion that they claim is the very reason they burm roads in the first place. The State doesn&#39;t have the funds to maintain all the forest roads we have now, so they claim.

Take Iron Bridge Road (which is not the official county road name) north of Ridge Road and it has been repaired for approx. a mile due to recent logging. Another bridge that has been out for at least 30 years would keep you from venturing any further than this first mile.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks, all - you are confirming my assumptions, but I don&#39;t always trust my assumptions after an afternoon with Pat B in the National Forest this summer.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phittie1100 &#064; Dec 14 2006, 08&#58;30 AM) [snapback]20642[/snapback]</div>
    but I don&#39;t always trust my assumptions after an afternoon with Pat B in the National Forest this summer.
    [/b]

NFS, State, CRC - each has it&#39;s own set of rules to learn and follow.
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Senior Member Supporting The Sport!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Dec 14 2006, 08&#58;24 AM) [snapback]20641[/snapback]</div>

Take Iron Bridge Road (which is not the official county road name) north of Ridge Road and it has been repaired for approx. a mile due to recent logging. Another bridge that has been out for at least 30 years would keep you from venturing any further than this first mile.
    [/b]

I believe the offical name for that is Wildwood Rd. north of M61. South of that its called Deer Rd.

I guess we were pretty lucky when we were up exploring the area a year or two ago.
    I had found some of the roads on the Garmin electronic maps that looked interesting. Sterling Truck Trail and Mosquito Alley Truck Trail for example. We found that Mosquito Alley was gated on the west end and basically not existent on the east end. We drove Sterling Truck Trail and stumbled on Wildwood Rd (or Wildwood DR as parts of it are labeled on Garmin&#39;s records).

Wildwood was clearly a two track. Lots of other things in the area were clearly posted as not for motorized or not for mechanized travel. There were no signs on Wildwood so we went south on it. A bit north of the Molasses River, there was an area to the west that had been cut and looked like they might be getting ready to put in some kind of access. Still lots of timber lying around. Maybe they were just logging.

We did cross the "river" and soon after came out over the berm and then onto 61. From the south side it was clearly bermed and clearly signed, but we were not the only ones who had been through there recently.

Having it clearly labeled as a road on my navigation system, obviously travelled, and not posted - I assumed it was legitimate. Live and learn.
    GreyBeard [Bruce]
    52 Willys CJ3A, 95 XJ