Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The addition of club forums?

Jeremy

Lucas brought up a very good point of discussion at the quarterly today regarding the new forum software and clubs. His club, as I'm sure most others here, might not have the time, energy, or resources to setup their own club forum. So, considering we have more powerful software at our disposal now, it could be possible to give each GLFWDA club their own forum as a part of this forum. Just one forum per club, obviously not giving each club their own 5 categories, and making it real complex or anything.

But really, just a single forum for each club we have, so that their club members can discuss things, maybe announce club events that are open to all GL members, and for individual members who may be looking to join a club, and would like to pop in and ask questions.

What do you guys think? It really isn't that hard to setup, so that isn't a problem. Just wondering if something like that would be appropriate, and could be put to good use here? Discuss

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

I like that idea.
    Bruce
    Individual member #6774

Lothos

It's a nice idea, but two things. First, only do it for the clubs that want/need it done. Second, the club forums should be restricted to that specific club's members.

I think it is a great idea. One because it gets people seeing this GLFWDA web site more and more. And two, because this may be a good way to keep this place funded (that is if there will be a little extra charge). I dig it man.

Jeremy

Well, it wasn't really meant to be an additional charge, but really just a "bonus" for clubs and an added incentive to maybe become a member of GL. And I had first thought about restricting it to only club members, but we had determined that was a bad idea. First, it is a royal PITA to flag members who are in certain clubs, and when you're talking about maybe 100+ people to flag, and new people always joining... that is not something I want to be spending all of my time doing. Also, as lucas said, people drop out of clubs, don't pay dues, or join at all sorts of times of the year. So keeping up with that would be a complete nightmare.

It was mainly just meant to be a way for the clubs, if they wanted to have a public space to kind of promote their club, and be an easy way for people to find out more or as questions, etc.

Buster

I think it would be a great way for clubs to invite people to join them on a ride. Clubs are always doing things that aren't a "GL Event" and it would be a good way for other members to find out about those. I know that I'd love to see some good pictures from some of the clubs regular trailrides to get an idea of what kind of wheeling they are into.

On another wheeling website they have club sections that are members only and I'm always wondering about what I'm missing out on. RPM club invited people to one of their events last year.. their annual Poker run and my family had a lot of fun joining in on that.

kanata7

Sounds like a great idea to me

I would also like to see some kind of forum for individual members. We have a DAL but have no formal (or informal) way to communicate as a group. Only by email and PM to Brad. This does not allow one individual member to view what other individual members are thinking. The problem that I see is the same problem already discussed on a club basis.......should it be restricted & how to do it? The big difference is that this is the only place for individual members to communicate. Clubs have their own forum.
    Jim
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Good idea, I say keep it open to everyone. Thats what GL is all about. If clubs really want a closed forum, go get one on your own.

Jim, I'm a indy member like you, and think a forum for us is a great idea. Let people post thier concerns to Brad, but for everyone to view, as maybe someone else has a better insight into the question/problem/idea.

Jeremy

Thanks for all the comments, I will see how I can best impliment this