Thread: Confusing DNR Trail Maps

farmergregman

Just wanted to remind some new folks about the confusing overlapping trail maps from the DNR. The solid red lines are lots of times directly on top of our (4x4)broken red stripped lines. If you see our broken lines extending from the main body of trail system then usually the darn solid line was printed directly on top of our trail markers. It took me a couple of years to find this out.

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

yep. And in some places it shows stuff that doesn't exist.

I had wanted to start a project of driving all the ORV route with my GPS recording and put togeather my own set of maps but something else always comes up.
    Bruce
    Individual member #6774

Vader5

Thumbs down

One of the worst parts about the DNR maps is that they often leave out names of County Cross Roads. I also wish they would have small road signs at cross road points. These two things would keep people in Fullsizes, on bike and on snowmobiles from getting lost as easy. There were times back in my snowmobiling days where I would have to turn off the trail at a cross road and ride a few miles down the road to the nearest signed intersection just to see where I was on the trail map. A 3" x 12" sign at each cross road would have saved me a lot of gas and from getting seriously lost a few times. I'd pay twice as much for ORV stickers for this feature on the trail systems in Michigan.

My 0.20? (I rambled 10 times to much for it to only be my 0.02) :P

To participate in the procees to improve this map situation please see the post made by Jim Mazzola in the events section.

We are able to take part in a study to improve and evalute our ORV system by attending meetings at various locations around the state. Lansing, Grayling and a location in the UP are among the spots where you can go to voice your opinions.

So please mark your calender and attend these public input forums!

Pat Kinne
    Pres. GLFWDA
    1-888-705-8683
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

offroadracer99

One of the last times I was up in Atlanta, I talked to one of the Firefighters right there at the trail head. He told me and my buddies that most all the maps you can get from the DNR are just way out of date. They are good still for the general, but they are not precise. The trails need to be GPSed, but that is not in the budget, obviously since the DNR office is closed right there in Atlanta. Does anyone know how the map thing is going right now, I did not see anything in the events section on the subject.

offroadracer99

Found it. Its in land use not events.