Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NOHVAC Workshop in Michigan

Trailfanatic and I both posted this, for ease of keeping track of this topic it has been put into one post.

NOHVACC WORKSHOP

During the past few days, we have secured dates for a NOHVCC workshop, one of a series across the nation. These workshops will bring together OHV users and USFS personal in an effort for each group to better understand and facilitate involvement with the Travel Management and Off-Highway Vehicle program.

Dates are October 26-29th with a final determination of location being either Marquette or Escanaba to be finalized this week. The option is available for another workshop in Michigan’s Lower Peninsula in early 07. Expect formal announcements within days.

These workshops come highly recommended by those within the USFS and the ORV/OHV user community. Motorcycle Industry Council, the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America and Americans for Responsible Recreational Access have partnered with NOHVCC to design workshops-in collaboration with the AMA, the Blue Ribbon Coalition and United Four Wheel Drive Associations.

For this program to be a success in Michigan, we need the involvement of not only participants, but the e-mail addresses of hundreds and that is where your help is essential. Wanted are the e-mail addresses for the following and please forward to www.paulslavik@NOHVCC.org

AMA D-14 clubs and promoters

ATV clubs and organizations

ATV dealers

CCC Chapters

Four Wheel Drive clubs

MDNR personal

MMDA members or other dealers

MUCC clubs

MSA clubs

Sportsmen & Hunt clubs

Camping organizations

Equestrian organizations

Mountain Biking clubs

Auto Dealers specializing in 4-wheel drive vehicles

Logging organizations

Any questions, please contact Dick Ranney @ 989 469-2405 or e-mail, www.dranney1@charter.net. Please watch for further information.
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry Pat,

I went straight to Land Use, didn't see a post, and duplicated the information before realizing that you'd already covered it!

It sounds like a great opportunity to sit down with the NFS.
    4 Days in the U.P. sounds pretty good too!
    Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to swing it.

I'm hoping that:

1) We can find 'someone' from GLFWDA who can/ will attend on our behalf.

2) There is enough respose from people who can't attend the U.P. meeting to get that L.P. meeting on the calendar.

If anyone can attend this one, I'd SURE like to hear all about it!
    Pat Brower

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pat,

The last NOHVAC workshop held in MI was well attended by GL with 3 of us showing up for it. It was a good workshop with tons of information. That was the good part, the bad part was that our MI DNR that was in attendence didnt absorb any of the quality information.

We actually have a better relationship with the MN. DNR after that weekend than our own. We even went as far as to invite our DNR out to dinner while we were there, they declined so we ate with MN DNR and forest sevice folks. This alone would keep me from attending this next seminar. However, if we can get some new blood with new enthusiasm and they are willing to attend and try to build those relationships I would encourage them to do so.

After all, these workshops are about building relationships and gaining knowledge about new practices and policies. We have gained some knowledge but need to work on the relationships.

Pat K.
    Past Corresp. Sec.

Blog Entries

I'd LOVE to go.

Unortunately our vehicle was totalled out from under us. We've been forced to pull out the old '79 F150 farm truck until we can find a suitable xj to replace the other one.
    Between the truck getting less than 10 mpg and my wife needing it to get back and forth from work, I can't swing the logistics.

The bummer is that, as long as the NFS doesn't schedule Carla's visit for that time period, I think I could rearange my schedule to free up the time.

If anyone else is going and wouldn't mind a passenger, let me know. I'd start working on my schedule as soon as I found a ride.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ironman &#064; Sep 12 2006, 05&#58;08 PM) [snapback]17492[/snapback]</div>
    the bad part was that our MI DNR that was in attendence didnt absorb any of the quality information.
    [/b]
    For some reason that doesn&#39;t really surprise me.

As I learn more of the &#39;rules&#39; I become more and more thankful that I have the Manistee NF as my closest &#39;playground&#39;.
    I just wish it wasn&#39;t a whole 15 minutes away&#33; (LMAO) :P
    Sorry for all those Detroiters. :P

Seriously though . . .
    The Workshop sounds like it has more to do with the NFS programs than the DNR.
    Am I mistaken?
    Pat Brower

I can probably make that. Baby should be out of the wife by early Oct, will need to go on a trip so I can sleep again, so it will probably work out OK.

4 Day event? Lodging? Cost? What exactly do we do there? What do I need to know? Anything? or just be supportive? Or should I just stay home because I wouldn&#39;t make a good rep.?

If it works out, I could drive up if that helps people.

Lucas
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

Here is all you need to go: Know what problems face us as full size users, an ability to absorb and welcome new and practical ideas, and a propensity to make new friends.

You will meet good people and make some great contacts, keeping in touch afterwords is the hard part. With e-mails that shouldnt be a problem.

When Paul Mulder, Aaron Young and I went we spent 2 nights and had 2 full days of workshops along with a quad ride.
    We took our own quads on the ride which was a nice tour of the Ottawa NF. I dont know if they plan on doing the quad ride this time or not. It isnt required that you go on it anyway. But if you can round up a quad and they offer it I would definately do it.
    Past Corresp. Sec.

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Sep 12 2006, 06&#58;45 PM) [snapback]17503[/snapback]</div>
    Or should I just stay home because I wouldn&#39;t make a good rep.?

[/b]
    My knowledge of off road issues isn&#39;t vary broad, but it is shallow&#33; As long as I could participate without hurting our position, I could probably get away for most of that weekend. Is Thursday anything more than welcome and fluff stuff? I have a deposition in the morning and Deb doesn&#39;t get home from school until 9pm, so I couldn&#39;t get there before o&#39;my God early on Friday.
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phittie1100 &#064; Sep 13 2006, 12&#58;21 PM) [snapback]17559[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Sep 12 2006, 06&#58;45 PM) [snapback]17503[/snapback]
    Or should I just stay home because I wouldn&#39;t make a good rep.?

[/b]
    My knowledge of off road issues isn&#39;t vary broad, but it is shallow&#33; As long as I could participate without hurting our position, I could probably get away for most of that weekend. Is Thursday anything more than welcome and fluff stuff? I have a deposition in the morning and Deb doesn&#39;t get home from school until 9pm, so I couldn&#39;t get there before o&#39;my God early on Friday.
    [/b][/quote]

Anyone fed with our current situation in MI and that isnt afriad to speak about it is a good canidate to go to the workshop. It shows our commitment to the betterment of our sport. And like I said above, if you can network with like minded folks than you would do just fine in attending on behalf of GL and fullsize users alike.

Let me ask the board members reading this one question: Do we think it is in our best interest to send a couple of carpooling members to this? I am speaking monatarily in a fuel reimbursement or lodging or both. Last time we went 3 of us shared a room, and if memory serves it was around &#036;500 for the 3 of us for lodging, fuel and registration. Lunches were provided in registration but breakfest and dinner were on our own.

This is a great opportunity to educate more GL members and to keep GL the leader in fullsize representation in MI&#33;
    Past Corresp. Sec.

I&#39;d offer to go, on a tentative basis. If the baby is OK and Rose is OK, then I can probably do this. Its a waiting game for me, I do hope everything works out well, but you never really know for sure.

I have some guys I know up in Marquette that I could probably crash with, so for lodging, I&#39;m probably alright. If my Jeep was alive, I&#39;d take that&#33; But without quads or bikes, I probably will just do the meetings and drink cold water.

Lucas
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

Blog Entries

If either of you decides to go for sure, PM me and I&#39;ll join in.
    Pat Brower