If you receive the Huron-Manistee NF Schedule Of Proposed Actions (SOPA):

I just rec'd the latest and there are a few projects I think are worth mentioning. If anyone wants more info or to try to help out or do something to help fight one of these 'Actions', just let me know! I WELCOME the chance to comment, but can't do it alone. I'm going to list the PROJECT NAME in CAPITAL letters followed by my comments about it in standard case text.

* 56th ST. SNOWMOBILE TRAIL REROUTE - Try to comment to ensure that the trail is constructed to a 72" trail width NOT a 50" width AND that it should be left OPEN to motorized recreation during the summer.

* PERE MARQUETTE NATIONAL SCENIC RIVER PLAN UPDATE - Too far into the process to comment now. This 'Plan' is why the Big South Branch trail from Wallhalla Rd. to Wilson Rd. is now CLOSED to us.

* FAIRMONT SAND - Comment to open the property to 4x4 use before and after (but NOT during) mining operations.

* FR 7270 AND 7274 - Too late to comment, roads will be 'rehabilitated'.

* WAGON WHEEL PROJECT - This is "Wagon Wheel Hill" over by Mio. This is also too late to comment on and will have ALL of the hill climbs 'rehabilitated'.

* M65 BRIDGE SNOWMOBILE TRAIL DESIGNATION - Comment to ensure ANY trail segments involved are 72" and OPEN to motorized rec. during the summer.

* LUPTON TRAIL ACCESS - I'm VERY concerned that 'Road Management' is a primary purpose of this project. I think we can all agree that the NFS uses the word 'manage' where we use the word 'kill' or 'close'. This is on the other side of the State from me. Any chance someone could help out?

* M37 EA (Environmental Assessment) - This is the Project that the Two Trackers FWDC commented on. We'll find out if the NFS used any of our suggestions around 9/ 06.

* NORTH AND SOUTH WINNEPESAUG - Too late for comment now. We will lose AT LEAST the 31.4 miles of roads they say are there and probably a LOT more 'undesignated' or 'user created' trails not on their 'map' too.

I'm showing the Projects of 'concern' that are too late to comment on to try to illustrate how important commenting is. It's the ONLY legal way to try to save ANY of our NFS trails. I hope you find this useful (or at least informative).