Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The National Forest System Trails Stewardship Act of 2015 (S. 1110)

Senior Member GLFWDA Member Ms.ZJ's Avatar

Default The National Forest System Trails Stewardship Act of 2015 (S. 1110)

Dear Michelle,

Because we share a passion for the outdoor traditions that define our Michigan way of life, I am writing to let you know I am cosponsoring a bipartisan bill to increase access to trails in our National Forest land.

Right now, the Forest Service is able to maintain only one-quarter of the 158,000 miles of National Forest trails for hiking, horseback riding, hunting, mountain biking, motorized vehicles, and other outdoor activities. The National Forest System Trails Stewardship Act of 2015 (S. 1110) is designed to expand the number of trails that could be maintained by requiring a national strategy to maximize the use of volunteers and partners while addressing liability concerns that restrict outside groups and individuals from working on the trails.

I grew up in Clare and have enjoyed Michigan's outdoors my whole life, so I know the value of our trails--not only do they provide outstanding recreational enjoyment, they also attract much-needed tourism and economic activity to our state.

From supporting greater public access to our national forests to protecting our Great Lakes, you can count on me to preserve Michigan's great outdoor heritage. As always, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

Debbie Stabenow
    United States Senator
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...10/all-actions
    Last edited by Ms.ZJ; November 5th, 2015 at 01:42 PM.
    Quite the Conundrum

Michelle,

Did you write her about trail shutdowns?

Dave

I have written to every (not every, but several)member of Congress and the Senate about land use issues since 2008. Many times, no response is received.
    This one is unsolicited and just popped up in my email, Im probably on a list.
    Last edited by Ms.ZJ; November 6th, 2015 at 07:08 AM.
    Quite the Conundrum

I am very skeptical about this especially coming from Stabenow. I can't seam to find it but I am pretty sure her name was on a bill that would have restricted access to trails I believe in Utah.

../|. ,[______],
    |---L =O|||||||O
    ()_) .()_)--~---)_)

Bill,

I tend to agree, and that's why I asked Michelle if this was a recent correspondence with Stabenow. Someone in the government...Federal...still needs to explain why they have to close trails because they don't have funds to manage them, but they never managed them when they had the funds.

Have either of you read the bill?
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...bill/1110/text

I'm excited about the possibilities this offers.
    Quite the Conundrum

I've read part of it. The heading of the bill does not mention to open more trails, but; "To direct the Secretary of Agriculture to publish in the Federal Register a strategy to significantly increase the role of volunteers and partners in National Forest System trail maintenance, and for other purposes." If this works out to open more trails that would be great. Part of it talks about getting the fire rangers to help with maintenance when they are able. I also hope this is not another tax sucking program that will squander more $$$ to groups without any accountability. Will read more later.

Quote Originally Posted by hemrides View Post
    I've read part of it. The heading of the bill does not mention to open more trails, but; "To direct the Secretary of Agriculture to publish in the Federal Register a strategy to significantly increase the role of volunteers and partners in National Forest System trail maintenance, and for other purposes." If this works out to open more trails that would be great. Part of it talks about getting the fire rangers to help with maintenance when they are able. I also hope this is not another tax sucking program that will squander more $$$ to groups without any accountability. Will read more later.
    X2

I just stated what I did as I have yet to see something positive come out of Stabenow's office that worked for us.

I hope the end result is as Dave has mentioned. Key points we need more trails. We need trails the US Forest service closed for no good reason. I guess in my years of wheeling and doing what we could to keep & gain trails only to be squashed by bureaucrats has me very pessimistic.

If this does happen I will be one of the first ones to step up and volunteer. I hope others will as well. Problem is there are too many people who just want to go out and have fun on what we have and are not willing to help keep or maintain it.

../|. ,[______],
    |---L =O|||||||O
    ()_) .()_)--~---)_)

This bill is sponsored by a republican from Wyoming (Mike Enzi), stabmenow is simply supporting his effort.
    Quite the Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.ZJ View Post
    This bill is sponsored by a republican from Wyoming (Mike Enzi), stabmenow is simply supporting his effort.
    Perfect "Stabmenow" pretty much sum's up what I think of Stabincow. Kind of odd that she is supporting an effort that keeps forest roads open when in the past she has done just the opposite.

../|. ,[______],
    |---L =O|||||||O
    ()_) .()_)--~---)_)