Thread: DNR to host Sept. 12 open house on draft Drummond Island Comprehensive Resource Manag

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default DNR to host Sept. 12 open house on draft Drummond Island Comprehensive Resource Manag

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Sept. 2, 2015
    Contacts: John Pepin, 906-226-1652

DNR to host Sept. 12 open house on draft Drummond Island Comprehensive Resource Management Plan

Public comments being collected through mid-October

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources will host an open house from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 12 to highlight information in a recently-drafted multi-use resource plan for the island.

The draft plan was developed — in cooperation with island residents and interest groups — to guide the DNR in its management of state forest, wildlife, and related public trust natural resources on the roughly 250-square-mile island, which is situated in Lake Huron in Chippewa County.
    The open house will be at the Drummond Island Town Hall, located at 29935 E. Pine St. on Drummond Island.

The plan was based on recommendations from the Drummond Island Writing Team, which consisted of delegates from eight organizations representing conservation, hunting, fishing, forest management, recreational, economic development and tourism interests, as well as a team member representing the general public and three members from the DNR representing wildlife, forestry and public safety.
    With the complexity of land-use issues on the island, it has taken several years to move the plan forward to this point. Working in partnership with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the DNR has worked to resolve competing interest issues and is now asking for public comment on the draft resource management plan.

The Drummond Island Comprehensive Resource Management Plan is available on-line.
    Send comments on the plan to the DNR Wildlife Division, PO Box 30444, Lansing, MI 48909 or via email DNR-Wildlife@michigan.gov. Comments will be accepted through Oct. 16.

Persons with disabilities needing accommodations for effective participation in the open house should contact Heidi Densteadt at 517-284-9453 at least seven days prior to the meeting date to request mobility, visual, hearing, or other assistance.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Thanks for posting Bob.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

******Recording Secretary Business Member
    GLFWDA Member

Thanks Bob!!!!!

Thanks Bob!!!
    '78 CJ7, AMC 360, T18, Dana 20 w/Tera Low gears, Locked Dana 44's F&R, AJ's Tub, Matkin frame.

Hey Bob - Quick question: Given the fact that this is 300+ miles away for a lot of us, is this something where the attendance of additional ORV/Full Size enthusiasts would be beneficial? Unfortunately I have a weekend long commitment that begins Friday afternoon that's been on my calendar since early summer or I'd be there. Thanks in advance!
    '78 CJ7, AMC 360, T18, Dana 20 w/Tera Low gears, Locked Dana 44's F&R, AJ's Tub, Matkin frame.

Blog Entries

Attendance is Always Crucial in Any Public Meeting that Deals With Our Interests!

I will be in attendance to represent GLFWDA.

If anyone wanted to do a ride along I plan to leave the Flint Area about 7 AM (Saturday, September 12).
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA

Blog Entries

The first thing I wish to respond to is the reality of this meeting taking place is historic and that most of those involved thought this was lost effort.

Following the establishment of the ORV Management Plan (2008) which was achieved through a collaborative effort of various interest groups. A decision was made to form a committee to complete or further the goals to positively impact Drummond Island for all users which included the Island Residents. So in June 2011 the Drummond Island Writing Team (DIWT) was formed and they worked together to help Drummond Island, their recommendations were given to the DNR in July 2012.

Get that, it was a little over 3 years ago the collective efforts of the DIWT recommendations was given to the DNR. Maybe you better understand why most thought their efforts had been wasted.

Anyway, lets get to the meeting:

Well the room hosted about 75 people and it was obvious Drummond Island Residents were the majority.
    Much of the discussion surrounded the lack of communication with ideas on how to improve communication in the future.
    Hunting concerns were the focus of discontent.
    The ORV community received little discussion because we have been good stewards in policing our own and positively impact the Island economy (we are givers, not takers).

If you desire to review the entire Plan, visit: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...370---,00.html

I have attached the two brief pages that address "Access for Motorized Recreation" as a PDF.
    DICRMP G4.3 Access for Motorized Recreation.pdf
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA

Awesome!! Thanks for your time, Bob. We appreciate your effort, expertise, and experience!

Tapatalk is giving me viewing issues but thanks for attending! I'll have to check it out on a real computer!
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics