Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite trail could now be LEGAL!

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member

I will give this some thought as well. I will also copy and post on the new Michiganjeepers.org site. :thumb-up:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nick &#064; Mar 13 2006, 06&#58;10 PM) [snapback]11976[/snapback]</div>
    Does it hav eto be exsisting or old closed trails or can it be areas that have never been open to wheeling such as "power line" roads. there both challenging and fun but most if not all are no treaspassing.. There are several in the Kalkaska County area that would be GREAT if they were open to use...........
    [/b]
    Any trail is fair game for nomination&#33; The worst they can do is say no....on the other hand they are under a legislative requirement to add miles. Power lines are a bit different though. Some are leased, lease holders are liable for injury so that&#39;s why they keep us off the powerline trail sometimes. Sometimes the lease holder insurance stipulates that no on else can occupy land besides the leasee.
    j-kb8ymf

free market capitalist timbercruiser's Avatar

Drummond Island-Tight and twisty and Marblehead/steps. If these are not designated already.
    And , of course, CLAY PITS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    93 FZJ 80 Locked!!

Chainsaws don't kill trees, I DO!!

GLFWDA Member GLFWDA Member nick_n_ii's Avatar

I&#39;ll have to get a map, but there is some great wheeling in St. Clair County(I grew up there) out in a area known as Ruby. At one time there was a trail that I remember you had to cross a river cause the old bridge was blocked off(I was like 8 30 now father wheeled than)and you went through some great hills and even some mud runs. But som idiet put rail rode ties with spikes in one of the mud holes and some people got hurt(so I was told by my dad) and that ended what was a great area, There is also Kingsley Road. the trail goes all the way to Wild Cat that was another great place. Didn&#39;t have any trees on it do to when the water tunnel from the lake was built to run to Detroit it killed off all the trees, never did hear why. any how it&#39;s like the Line roads in that it has hills, challenging stuff and some easyer stuff. But all in all it one great trail. You can deffiently find that on the map....... :thumb-up:
    A family that wheels together, stays together.....

well if you guys need Ideas to submit then consider "Waterloo rec area". its huge and its in the lower part of our state in Jackson & Wastenaw and Ingham countys. if I remember right its about 25,000 acres. when it was closed to motorized traffic it had miles of route and even more miles trails(50") but the DNR closed it out after Engler decided t o cut it out of the budget in &#96;91. My good friends have been keeping the trails open in some of it to sled traffic and they have been pulling work permits and doing it by the book. I have a couple of people at work that could take you out and map the system if you wanted to try and make a proposal for it. plus if we could get it open I could get the club about 100 new memebers out of the Proving grounds to help look after it.

ps, its full of old Gravel pits so theres lots of great hills to climb

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/...nfo.aspx?id=506

Gander Lander

Guys, We are not from Mich.but we enjoy wheelin in your great state.
    If there is anything a group of us from N. Indiana can do to help you, please
    let me know and you can consider it done.

SHOOT STRAIGHT

PLEASE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    PLEASE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Please get Jim some information on the trails you want&#33;
    So far I believe he has received exactly (0), ZERO, ZIP, etc... for actual trails.
    This is what we want, the chance to have trails the way we want, not "forest roads" a 2 wheel drive Cadillac can drive down.

Please inform everyone you know about this & get back to Jim ASAP&#33;&#33;&#33;
    SUPPORT THE SPORT!

It was mentioned there arent many trails open to the FS and you havnt received maps on them, -- this is likely because we arent allowed on them to map them --

There are some trails near Sand Lake about 10 miles west of East Tawas... i dont have maps because i have never been allowed on them with my Jeep. The trail head is off Indian Lake road IIRC. They link into the major system that connects to Mio and St Hellen IIRC These are sandy and have some good areas and could me made asily to fit FS rigs, many would already. One link goes all the way to Oscoda and the DAM STORE

I saved some of the DNR trail maps and wanted to add to them, but can&#39;t seem to. I thought I could open them in mspaint to edit, but wont work.

Is there any free online aerial photos you can use? Google is missing good clear pics of northern michigan...and the one I paid for ran out. I might have to renew my subscription so I can do this.

Jim, sorry but I&#39;m don&#39;t have a good mapping program so I&#39;m having a hard time figuring out doing something usable.

I would say that the old Gladwin ORV route that starts off Wildwood/Deer road just north of M61 and goes to Center Fire Truck Trail should be re opened as a route.

And for the quad guys the the whole Gladwin ORV trail north of M61 should be reopened. Its been three year since the closed it do to flooding..........those repairs should be done and open it.

I have to work next week and can try to copy some maps from my Gazetteer, I&#39;ll mark those up and mail them to ya.