Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oakland County Adventure Recreation Park (aka SE MI Offroad Park)

Default Oakland County Adventure Recreation Park (aka SE MI Offroad Park)

Hi Guys & Gals!!

Just a quick update with what's going on!

A St. Helen's type off road park in SE Michigan has been a dream for a number of years, and it appears that we may be getting close!

There are a couple planning meetings next week at the Oakland County Parks & Rec office for what's being called for now the Oakland County Adventure Recreation Park, or what some people have referred to as the SE Michigan Off Road Park for a number of years. There are a number of people working diligently behind the scenes to make this park happen. Facility, design, staffing, and other planning issues are being worked through as I write this.

Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association has also been asked to jump on board because of our experience, expertise, and personnel, as well as other intangible assets we have to offer the process.

If you're reading this post all you need to do right now is keep watching the forums for updates!! We just wanted to keep our membership and visitors to our website 'in the loop'! There WILL come a time when you active participation will be needed - in political support and boots-on-the-ground help at the eventual site.

So for all of you anxiously waiting this new park, you'll get a chance later this year to prove it!!

Good wheelin'!!
    '78 CJ7, AMC 360, T18, Dana 20 w/Tera Low gears, Locked Dana 44's F&R, AJ's Tub, Matkin frame.

KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Cool!
    Maria: Can we ride in your Jeep again? Please!?
    Lily: My tooth feels loose, can you use your tools to pull it out again?
    Juliet: Can you carry me upside down to bed?!
    Violet: Cookie?

My pics

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oakland County had tried in the past and failed. It is refreshing that they did not give up and they came to understand that through building relationships they will also have the opportunity to fulfill their dreams as well.
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

There is a schedule for Commission Meetings on DestinationOakland under the section “about us” and then “Commission”. You can get to it via the following link:
    http://www.destinationoakland.com/Pa...ommission.aspx

You will also note that the Agenda Packets are posted the Friday before the Tuesday Meeting. These are now public documents and can/should be shared freely and widely. A link to the PDF is: http://www.destinationoakland.com/Do...n%20Packet.pdf

As a follow up to earlier discussion, this meeting will NOT be the YES/NO vote as earlier stated. I think a large turnout showing concern is a good thing. Although we have been asked to NOT flood the public comment period with comments, I don't see a flaw with a few people speaking up.

What to say? I can't tell you how to speak your mind. I only ask that you keep it short and polite. Becoming loud or rude will not gain us anything. Passion? Yes. Professionalism? Yes. You don't need to be in a suit and tie. On the other hand, you should't be wearing a greasy wife beater either.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK

Thanks Jim!!!! Well said!! I'll see you there!

- Mike O.
    '78 CJ7, AMC 360, T18, Dana 20 w/Tera Low gears, Locked Dana 44's F&R, AJ's Tub, Matkin frame.

Vertically Challenged 4x4 GLFWDA Member phittie1100's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will be running late, someone dave me a seat!

Sent from my electronic tether
    Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
    KD8PAV

Well, we attended the parks commission meeting today. There was another presentation by park staff about what they envision and then another presentation by Ron Olson from the DNR. The DNR is very much in favor of this project and offers abundant support. They also envision the possibility of a 3rd party concessionaire to operate the park either with or without Oakland County's participation. I am not really sure what to think about the proposals. All I can say for sure is that the game plan has changed dram atically from the original plans and I don't think it is as good. But without the county feeling it's a good fiscal move, we are handcuffed. The good thing is that the process is still moving forward and I have yet to hear anything negative other than the county making sure it is a good fiscal move.

I would really like to say thank you to all those that attended today. Hopefully you got a feel for the slow wheels of government. There were questions asked today that were asked last year. And it's frustrating and irritating to know that several of our parks commission has not yet even viewed the site, even though there have been countless tours and invites. Shame on them. :fish: But back to the attendance, I know for a fact it made an impression. I was told afterwards that there has never been that large of a turnout for a commission meeting for a special project. Kudos to all of you

Based on the discussion today, it is my understanding that they will allow a "public input" meeting on August 11th. This is different than a "public comment" meeting. I believe that a "public input" meeting will allow for more interaction with the residents. I know that this has been said before, but I think "THIS" is the meeting that requires a huge user turnout. It was discussed that it would be held in the evening and in a larger meeting room to allow for a higher attendance. This is a good thing! Please plan to attend.

It sounds like the commission will vote in September. Will they? I simply don't know. I thought they were going to vote in April and here we are in July with nothing yet. The good side is that it hasn't been voted down.

We also met with some of the park staff after hours today to work on how to move forward. The DNR has suggested that "volunteer groups" could assist with the park planning and initial work. How would this work? We will continue to discuss options and ideas as we hear more from the DNR.

We were also pleased to hear that the DNR has gone out for bids on appraisals of the properties. This means that they are moving forward with the purchase of the land. The date mentioned was to have it purchased by the end of the year.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK