Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sweeter Road, Twin Lake

Default Sweeter Road, Twin Lake

Does anyone know if Muskegon County closed Sweeter Road in Twin Lake, East of the golf course/ The road is marked with private drive signs now. I know there was talk of this at the last Two Trackers cleanup, but I did not think it had happened.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did. With all the illegal use it gets. Every time we go down that road more illegal trails show up or the banks along the road are all tore up. Did you try to go down it to see if it was still open?

../|. ,[______],
    |---L =O|||||||O
    ()_) .()_)--~---)_)

Apparently someone applied for an abandoned road and the county gave it up. I'm not really surprised either, although the way they had it blocked off on the sides I didn't think they would have problems anymore.

Did they block it from both ends? Or just the end near the golf coarse and creek crossing?

../|. ,[______],
    |---L =O|||||||O
    ()_) .()_)--~---)_)

It doesn't sound like it's blocked, but they have professionally made signs stating that it is a private drive.

That sounds odd. Are they planning on restricting traffic. Seems we have a few other trails/seasonal roads that we have to use private drives to gain access in the area.
    I'll have to check it out the next time I am over in the area. Michelle & Joe should go check it out and report back.

../|. ,[______],
    |---L =O|||||||O
    ()_) .()_)--~---)_)

AM/Membership Secretary GLFWDA Member Ms.ZJ's Avatar

A friend in the area called to ask about it, stating it was marked private. We may have time to scope it out Saturday or Sunday.
    This wouldn't be the first road in the area to be marked private by a resident.
    As to its legality, the road commission is our best place for answers(iirc).
    We had a similar problem with Crystal lake Rd a few years back, when I contacted the CRC I was informed that the signage was not legal and that the CRC would go out there and remove the signage... They did!
    Only to have it reappear weeks later.
    The trails in this area are dwindling at a rapid pace, this is a HUGE concern to me as well as many other wheelers in this area.
    I would like to know how a road with the high use this road has can be called abandoned and then be allowed to be closed to the public and called a private drive.
    Quite the Conundrum

We went out there yesterday. There is about a quarter mile of the road signed posted and chained off. This quarter mile includes the illegal hill climb area and bridge. The county did give a property owner his abandonment claim... They were sick of maintaining the road. This area is maintained and policed by the USFS
    This privatization cuts off public access to the area and is complete BS.
    I am unsure how a road that has so much traffic on it was allowed to be labeled abandoned and sold to Mr. Out of town high roller.

This really looks "abandoned" to me....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140420_180331898.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	1173

Name:	IMG_20140420_182047548.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	1171

Name:	IMG_20140420_181553763.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	1172
    Last edited by Ms.ZJ; April 21st, 2014 at 06:12 AM.
    Quite the Conundrum

What can be done to stop the next person from making the abandonment claim and closing more of this area? We wheel out here all year round, its all we have left in our area and it can't be lost in such underhanded deals.
    Quite the Conundrum

We can't afford anymore closures, Decades of camping down legal forest roads and closed because of a small butterfly that I have never seen since going out there since the 60's. Let's start getting real on what needs to be done with our trail system, almost not worth the increase in the ORV sticker.