Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Flag for silverlake

Shakr

I searched all winter for an orange flag on a strudy pole and I found a ton of bicycle type flags, I know the shops up near the dunes sell them but they did not want to ship them to me (seems shipping costs as much as the flag)
    I did find that Recreational leisure in Farmington has a few left , these are the thick fiber rod and are 2 piece with a bolt type connection at the base and they are 9 ft tall. I think it was 17.95 but I got a 10% discount because they like me. They are near the parts bench in a tube ...the service guy will tell you they dont have anymore so you'll need to look around for yourself.

Also appletree automotive ? will have some at the dune buggy show in lansing this month so I'm told .

Your right, just about every store and gas station around Mears has the flags. The two piece is worth the extra couple of bucks, easier to store and I leave the bottom piece on my Jeep year around. It holds my GL flag!
    Lifetime member,Past President, Past Memb. Sec.
    Past Corresp. Sec.
    https://www.facebook.com/CreativeFabWorks
    Thank you to our supporters and volunteers!

and as a side note, a bicycle flag does not have the adequate square inches. They will turn you around and make you get a bigger one.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Needin' Time to Wheel GLFWDA Member Jarhead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Mar 1 2006, 09&#58;34 PM) [snapback]11260[/snapback]</div>
    and as a side note, a bicycle flag does not have the adequate square inches. They will turn you around and make you get a bigger one.
    [/b]
    What is considered "adequate square inches". :bigemo_harabe_net-01:
    Jarhead (Bob)
    Past President GLFWDA
    Former Membership Secretary
    Former Landuse Committee Chair

http://www.glfwda.org/join.html

Shakr

Dennis kirk has 3 piece flags but they are the 1/4" thk. pole and fold over to the roof when the wind blows.

I have 2 flags on the front of the jeep because I&#39;m more an engineer than a artist and need the front of the jeep to be symetrically balanced. So I should have enough orange in the air.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jarhead &#064; Mar 2 2006, 05&#58;30 AM) [snapback]11291[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Mar 1 2006, 09&#58;34 PM) [snapback]11260[/snapback]
    [/b]
    What is considered "adequate square inches". :bigemo_harabe_net-01:
    [/b][/quote]

Off the top of my head I don&#39;t know. But I know they have rejected bicycle flags in the past. I have also seen them reject dual bicycle flags as SER suggested. This is because they are looking for one BIG form of visibility.

In my book, the nice flags for &#036;35 or so is not a bad investment.
    KDSRGON GL#2665 KD8EGK
    Thanks to those that do all the hard work.

Best recollection I have (cause we did it last century&#33 was 50 Sq Inches minimum requuired on any one flag. 2 flags would net you 100 Sq In, not 25 Sq In and 25 Sq In
    j-kb8ymf

welfare wheeler GLFWDA Member joe_jeep's Avatar

wil they let u run 2 flags ??? i think they want right front only so u can tell witch way to swerve to avoid a crash??? u might wanna call and ask them? :doah:

Shakr

I&#39;m still covered , I can remove the left one with a flick of the wrench..... if these little rules keep poping up it may not be worth the trouble.

I used to ride at the brighton rec. area way back and flags were needed but when a motorcycle is clipping along WFO and comes across a truck or dune buggy there is not much of a swerve to be had .

If the flag needs to be on a certain side and you can only see the flag how will you know if it&#39;s coming at you , going away or stopped ?.
    The only rules I heard was orange flag at 10ft. above ground , full size rigs need it in the front , motorcycles and quads need it in the rear

Can someone please list the rules, I have not been there and from what I&#39;ve looked up there is not much for spec&#39;s.

I just looked at the state web site And I did not see anything about the amount of flags just that they need to be orange, 10ft. tall , 8 ft. under motion, rectangular 10" x 5". there was more info but I think it answered my question.

Maybe we need a post started to be a check list with items needed and only the factual requirements.

Just Empty Every Pocket Zookeeper's Avatar

Nobody in the Lansing area sells these things, so I guess I&#39;ll need to get one when I get to the area over there. What about mounting/attaching? Is there some system for mounting?

I was hoping to get one early so I could mount it the way I wanted -- properly.
    Ari Adler
    KD8CXP

2003 lift-challenged TJ that's locked and loaded